Matching Copper Pan Size to Burner Size

I am looking for a more even heating pan than my triply Multiclad Pros for frying and searing large quantities of flat food items.

I’ve been thinking of getting one or two largish copper pans by Falk:

https://falkcoppercookware.ca/shop/frying-pan-sl/

https://falkcoppercookware.ca/shop/paella-pan-2/

I have electric coil elements, the large ones being 8" round (well, technically 7.5"). If I put a 32cm (12.5") copper pan on my 8" element, then the floor of the pan (11") will overlap the circumference of the heating element by 1.5" on each side.

My question is for all the copper experts on here: Will an overlap of 1.5" cause a significant drop in temperature at the edge of a 2.5mm thick copper pan like a Falk?

If so, how much of an overlap could I get away with (i.e. without causing a significant drop in temperature at the edge of the pan) using 2.5mm copper? The next size down would be a 28cm (11") pan with a floor of 9.5".

Of course ideally, the floor of the pan should be the same size as the burner, I know. But I’m curious as to how large a pan I could get away with on an 8" electric burner without experiencing a major drop in temperature at the edge of the pan.

How good is 2.5mm copper at spreading heat?

IMO, no.[quote=“seitan, post:1, topic:7216”]
I’m curious as to how large a pan I could get away with on an 8" electric burner without experiencing a major drop in temperature at the edge of the pan.
[/quote]

Your results may vary. But for comparison, I have used a 4mm copper 14" straightwall rondeau on an 8" coil and have not been displeased with how it browns meatballs over the entire surface. There will be some dropoff, to be sure. You might ask Franz to snap you a thermal photo of his Mazzetti on an 8" coil.

Very good. At least as good as the +/- 4mm of aluminum in the Proline 5* skillets which everyone raves about. Falk used to claim that they would use thicker copper if it made a difference, and their tests showed it does not. I do not entirely believe them, but IMO 2.5mm is at or near the point of diminishing returns. Also remember that Falk is really 2.3mm of copper. I remember some smart person offering up calculations showing that an “optimum” thickness is more like 2.8mm, but I can’t seem to find that source (must be copper poisoning!)

Aloha,
Kaleo

Thanks Kaleo!

I know that Franz has produced results showing that the Proline is very similar in thermal evenness to the DeBuyer Prima Matera (which is only 2mm copper and has an s/s induction plate on the bottom): https://www.centurylife.org/cookware-even-heating-rankings-induction-and-electric/

So I would think that a Falk 2.5mm copper pan would be even more even (lol…sorry) than either of those two.

Franz’s measured delta for the Proline and Prima Matera was ~92° F on electric, although I think his ‘electric’ is actually induction. Does Franz have an electric coil?

I don’t recall, sorry. But coil will generally be more even than induction.