Mardi Gras, Carnevale, Paczki, Krapfen & Pancakes

@mig I know you know :joy:

I guess I started my Mardi Gras with custard Dorayaki yesterday.

Anyone have plans for Mardi Gras food over the next week?

Mardi Gras is Tue, Feb 13th this year.

1 Like

This week I learned about the Polish tradition of Fat Thursday. A nearby pierogi maker brought in pączki for the day. Of course this called to me.

Available fillings were cream, rose, raspberry, and prune (prune butter). Prune butter is a favorite, so that’s the one for me. Rich and brioche-like.

6 Likes

Those look super-similar to Berliner or Pfannkuchen (as they are called in … Berlin, ironically).

There’s a Bonner version that has an eggnog filling. It’s better than it sounds :wink:

1 Like

Is that like Fig Newton’s rich cousin?

1 Like

Prune Butter has no Butter in it.
Usually Prunes, Sugar and other Flavorings depending on which Area and the Cook.
Sometimes Vanilla, Brandy, OJ, Orange/Lemon Zest, Cinnamon Etc…
So very much like Fig Newton Filling (better IMO).

3 Likes

Rosehip paçzki from Benna’s in Toronto.
Benna’s offers rosehip or plum filling only.

Angels’ wings (aka Chrusciki / Crostoli)

Tash, they are similar to Berliners and Krapfen, and sometimes identical. The dough used in Polish Paçzki in Canada is richer than standard donut dough. I haven’t had an apricot Krapfen in Tyrol since 2007, and I don’t think I’ve had any Berliners in Germany. We have Berliners and Bismarcks in some parts of Canada, and they’re usually the same thing as a filled donut.

The indie Polish bakery Paçzki are much better than the standard grocery store Paçzki at national chains in Canada, which are just boxes of filled donuts labeled Paçzki in terms of the dough.

3 Likes

Jambalaya sounds great. I’ve got a big ol’ Poché’s andouille sausage the size of a baseball bat in the freezer waiting to be sacrificed. In the last year or two before he died, my dad requested that I make some shrimp étouffé and bring it over to his apartment. My God, I hadn’t seen any in years (my mom was from Louisiana but I don’t remember her ever making it). So I dove into my trove (ooh, it rhymes!) of super seekrit recipe and magic spell books, and made some. Dad was very happy. Laissez les bons temps rouler …

4 Likes

I can get great chrusciki in a couple of stores nearby. One of my Dad’s bookkeepers used to make them and bring them to the office. Awesome!

2 Likes

Office Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday lunch tomorrow. I have a pot of red beans simmering now for red beans and rice, a co-worker is making a chicken gumbo, another mac and cheese (not sure that’s on-theme but who doesn’t like M&C?). Someone is likely picking up a king cake. Not sure what else will appear but it will be fun. We’ll celebrate the one February birthday also.

4 Likes

I’m making Fasnachts tomorrow.

1 Like

My Hungarian grandmother called it lekvar and made various pastries with it. Loved it!

4 Likes

That makes sense.
This is the name for any Fruit Butter but Prune(szilvalekvár) and Apricot(baracklekvár) are the most common.

2 Likes

We also called prune butter lekvar when I was a kid. If I see a jar of it, I can’t resist purchasing. I use it as jam.

P.S. My grandmother used to use the Solo brand (canned). I have tried that brand as an adult, but I suspect it’s not what it once was.

2 Likes

Added orzo to last night’s Creole chicken gumbo.

1 Like

2 Likes