Mama Dag's Oyster House - Oceanport NJ

I saw this come across my Facebook feed and it caught my eye. (as most steaks do) With a name like Mama Dag’s Oyster House I figured I would have heard about a place like this, yet I haven’t. So, a quick, or not so quick, good search and I found their website.

https://mamadags.com

Interestingly enough, this/the Oceanport Location isn’t listed on their web site. (the not so quick portion of the search) However it does seem to be the same as the West Orange location. This location is becoming a bit of an enigma in the area, it was the same place for 20+ years and in the last 5 years it seems each year brings a new incarnation.

Who is going to take one for the team?

5 Likes

What a terrible name

But geez this place is turning over like mad last few years. It’s literally a spot should print money, esp with people living in the Fort now.

I welcome any new competent operators to that spot. Maybe we will end up with a great steak nearby?

2 Likes

These 2 topics should probably be merged. I have been going to Mama Dag’s at the Oceanport Marina since they opened on Labor Day weekend. I believe that their current hours are Thurs & Fri 4-9pm and Sat & Sun 12-9pm.

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/riverside-marina-formerly-the-marina-at-oceanport/34524

They won’t be open until 4 PM today due to the flooding.

(Yes I agree, I will take care of on Tuesday when in front of a desk top. OPP (Old People Problems)

2 Likes

https://www.riversidemarinaandsportsbar.com/

Temporarily Closed!

1 Like

That’s not a good sign.

1 Like

Copied from the Oceanport Residents page on Facebook:

Great news Oceanport. I first want to clarify the situation at the marina. The person who had the marina for the last 2 months, was a franchsie of Mystic Lobster and not the owner of the company. Due to certain circumstances, he is no longer at the marina. Today Mystic Lobster Roll Company has come to an agreement to move forward the restaurant operations. We are partnering up with one of the most successful Italian seafood restaurants in Essex county. We have a tentative opening date of August 11th, but we will keep you informed. I want to thank everyone for your support through all of this. Philip Tretola, CEO Mystic Lobster Roll Company.

1 Like

“One of the most successful Italian seafood restaurants in Essex County”. Hmmmm, what could it be, Lu Nello?

1 Like

Red lobster?

2 Likes

In all honesty it would be awesome if they could make a real place if this spot. It’s a great location. They were
Just never ever serious about putting out a passable product

3 Likes

Completely agree! It’s been years but I used to be involved in an organization that met near there and it was the only place close enough to grab a bite before or afterwards. It was just always so MEH.

3 Likes

They are hoping to reopen in 2 weeks.

1 Like

Phillip Tretola just posted this on the Oceanport Residents Facebook page:

Hello Oceanport. Just a quick update. We are coming to a close on our operation at the marina. We are hoping this Thursday or Friday for our opening. We are doing our best to get open as soon as possible but protocol must be followed and done correctly. We will keep all posted. Thank you for all your support, we look forward to seeing everyone.

1 Like

At very least it looks like the spot in west orange mentioned that they run looks like a proper restaurant. Above
Average reviews on yelp. So maybe this may be a real restaurant

Again, all the ingredients there if they can put together a functional operation

Based on that article it looks like he ownED the place in West Orange and the other one in Garfield… I don’t know that that’s still the case.

There open! I’m on my 3rd Carton Drip.

1 Like