Malted milk powder, uses beyond milkshakes

But then I have a liquid with a much shorter shelf life. Currently I’ve almost completely powdered the 3-cup chunk I had in a jar; as a powder it will last (so far as I can tell) indefinitely.

1 Like

Make that a glass jar with a metal lid. And maybe a food-safe packet of desiccant placed atop the powder After all, it was powder when you bought it. Plastic is gas-permeable enough for the powder to trasmogrify into rock. :wink:

1 Like

If I have malt powder around long enough for it to clump (rare), I do the same thing with it as my brown sugar… throw it in the food processor.

I’m basically doing that, but it is effectively glued to the walls of the jar.

If it is in a plastic bottle (like mine), just beat it against the counter. If it is in glass, you’re on your own. (c;

Perfect yeast starter. In fact, I’d add a bunch to yeast and water so some of the malt flavor will enhance the bread I’m startin’ it for.

Or, you could make a tiny batch of beer.

One great way to use up malted milk powder beyond milkshakes is by incorporating it into baked goods. I recently discovered, that adding a couple of tablespoons of malted milk powder to my pancake batter gives them a delicious, unique flavor. It also works wonders in cookies, adding a subtle malted taste that complements chocolate chips or raisins perfectly.

1 Like

Real good idea. If I made caramel at home, I’d probably add some to that mix. Maybe if you replaced brown sugar in a recipe with it, you might get some nice surprises. I’d like to try it in oatmeal.