Making Gyoza!

My pleats could use a lot of work.

I’m using this recipe from Serious Eats ( of course!), but it’s not for lefties.
How to Make Japanese-Style Pork and Cabbage Dumplings (Gyoza)
What’s your pan-fry and steam technique? Do you change it when cooking from frozen?

6 Likes

IMG_20180822_230318

8 Likes

Looks good to me! To heat homemade dumplings from frozen I just fry em a little with a bit of oil put a little water in and cover and steam until all the water is gone and then let it crisp up a little more before serving.

5 Likes

Same way here for me for frozen. Fry with a bit oil in non stick pan, cover for steaming with a bit water for 5 minutes, uncover, and continue cooking for another 1 or 2 minutes until the water dries out and them browned.

2 Likes

Great you have made them. I guess they must worth the trouble compared to the frozen ones.

1 Like

Well, what had happened was (:blush:)…there was a GREAT sale on pork shoulder (like$1.50/pound in bone in *steaks"), l ground some for meatballs, had quite a bit left over, so…

Very impressive! You’re probably just a few hundred dumplings away from making consistent beautiful pleats ;))
I’m weird and prefer dumplings steamed vs pan fried, somehow I prefer a soft delicate skin to them

2 Likes

I agree! Practice makes perfect!

1 Like

I have enough filling for about another 25! Anybody know a video for lefties?

Skip pleats and make the round mandu shape?

http://www.sffood.net/mandu-recipe/ — pic down at the end of the page

2 Likes

Yaaaas!

:wink:
If the end goal is potstickers rather than steamed, they say to leave them as half moons so there’s more area to crisp up…

1 Like

Okay, but there was LOTS of good stuff in the link.

1 Like

Perfect post for me to get some advice. I’ve cooked gyoza a few times and have been doing the fry in oil, add water, cover and continue to cook until the water evaporates method. This seems pretty standard.

But adding water into hot oil leads to a massive cloud of spitting boiling oil that I can’t contain with the lid fast enough. What am I doing wrong here, should I be taking it off the heat and allowing the oil to cool before adding the water?

1 Like

Did you use a non stick pan? I don’t use a lot of oil. Also after you have added water, maybe try to lower the heat instantly.

No, I have never cooled off before adding water.

I think I’m probably just using too much oil then. I used non stick the first time, which went a lot better than when I tried it without (which wasn’t a conscious decision) - I lost all the crispiness

1 Like

The crispy part comes after the steaming when the cover is removed. I don’t have problem when a non stick pan with the crisp part, but need heat to dry out, maybe more time is needed. I have never tried that with a normal pan, but I am sure more oil is needed.

1 Like

Ah I meant I lost the crispiness because it all stuck to the pan

1 Like

Ouch!

1 Like

I was worried about that, poured off some of the oil I started with (“how to” says “a good amount”, recipe says 1 Tb), kept the pan off the heat for just a second while pouring in the water ( how to says “Add about a half cup of water to the skillet (if using a 10-inch skillet, or a full cup if using a 12-inch skillet) all at once (adding it rapidly will minimize the amount of spattering and keep things neater.”) and had a glass lid at the ready. It wasn’t so bad, and the second time worked out fine.

1 Like