Making a roux - what is your favorite method?

What’s your favorite method for making a dark roux? I like to go for about 90 minutes to 120 minutes in a 350F oven (equal parts flour and oil), stirring occasionally. I know others prefer stove top. Has anyone tried other, maybe less conventional methods, like microwave or slow cooker (I saw one that was equal parts oil and flour on low for 11 hours, stirring occasionally)?

1 Like

It really depends on what I am making it for… if I am using it for a bechamel I usually use butter over medium heat.

But if I am making a dark one I’ll use oil with Paul Prudhomme’s “smokin’ hot oil” method, which still only takes minutes but you really got to keep it going so you don’t scorch the flour.

I have seen oven methods on just the flour, but never tried it as it seems like a PITA to me.

1 Like

I also use the Oven Method though I start with dry roasted Flour which speeds things up a bit.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the oven trick yet. Work pretty well for you?

Yes. Both the dry and the wet worked well for me in the oven.
I tried both Methods separately first a “wet” Roux in the oven, then the “dry”. Both work well though I didn’t think the dry method got a dark enough Roux (I like it real dark for Gumbo) but it may be plenty for some.
Then I tried the the hybrid Method and it worked great for me.

Microwave FTW. I mix my oil and flour in a large Pyrex measuring cup and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes, then stir. Then another 2 minutes and stir. Then in 1-minute increments, stirring after each. Depending on how much roux you’re making, it can be done (I generally take it to “chocolate” color) in 6-7 minutes. Wear silicone oven mitts while handling/stirring it, because the mixture gets as hot as molten lava. But this method works great and is way faster, requires vastly less work, and is less prone to scorching than doing it on the stove.

2 Likes

I’m thinking gumbo, too, so I want darkness!

Oven as you mentioned is my preference. I think it was Alton Brown who got me doing it. But if I don’t have enough time (like if I decided at 5:30 pm that I want gumbo) then I do it on the stovetop with constant attention.

1 Like

A cast iron skillet is key!

1 Like

Slow, low and long for dark. My favorite gumbo place goes 18 hours.

For light, e.g., for bicuits and crab gravy, as soon as the flour loses that taste.

Saucepan on the stovetop for me.

2 Likes

I do the Good Eats version in the oven.

Some of the last few times. I’m rarely brave enough to take it as far as I’d like.

1 Like

Not to exactly hijack this thread, but in our house classic roux is a no-no due to my sweet flower’s celiac disease. So I’ve tried using other flours but never had much luck; rice for example will thicken but it doesn’t last long. Has anyone out there cracked the code to get a really useable GF and good-tasting roux?

1 Like

Gluten-free flour exists (I have some Bob’s Red Mill brand). Have you tried that?

1 Like

I used Glutinous Rice Flour and it worked pretty well for thickening and Taste. I do not remember whether it “let go” when reheating.
It’s biggest issue was not being able to get a good color. Even with a lot of cooking I got to about "Milk Chocolate color.
You may want to move this to “Special Diets” for more expertise.

I’ve had success using buckwheat flour and soy cream to make a gluten-free roux.

a blonde or medium roux is easy enough to do ‘on the fly’ - but dark/brick roux takes more time and attention when done in a fry pan.

on the odd circumstance when I have time to stand&sit a dark roux, I do a big batch, let it cool, then chunk it into ‘cubes’ - which get frozen. since the darker-the-less thickening potential, the ability to pull out another frozen cube of dark roux is - in my world - a big plus.

this batch had a bit more butter than required…

4 Likes

I just “discovered” a batch of milk to dark chocolate colored roux in my fridge. Probably from January. Anyone willing to say how old they would use it?

long time. fats have a long shelf life.
home made? a year minimum.

2 Likes

I agree with Tom.

1 Like

Same as Kaleo, low and slow for oil and flour gumbo roux and enough to cook off the raw flour taste and barely begin the browning process in butter and flour for Bechamel. Stovetop always. So a gumbo roux takes FFE. Why try an easy hack when you can stand by the stove, stirring and smelling something wonderful and drinking beer?

2 Likes