Make ahead breakfast and lunch for 25; Make or buy?

“Worth it” is hard to figure out- for myself it comes down to if i have the time and will enjoy cooking or of it will really stress me out and keep me up til odd hours. I can’t say that i have ever regretted cooking and sharing, generally people are appreciative and enthusiastic

2 Likes

Good answer!

Is this addition of making sandwiches going to stress me out? I am also responsible for the “meeting” overall. I’d rather be cooking! This is what I need to sort out before it’s too late.

1 Like

Hi Babette,

I usually add a splash of water to the eggs to help make them fluffy. Salt, pepper, maybe basil or oregano - it’s not just eggs anymore! grin

2 Likes

I usually use these ideas. Calls for dairy.

Bon Appetit.

This one is handy too.

Epicurious

shrinkrap,

This is opinion, others may differ.

I used to put diary in eggs, mostly milk. I have shifted to water (half or less of what your article suggests for diary). What I found was that dairy led to a more dense, cake-like product while water–presumably because of the steam–made the product more fluffy. Both are fine. Use what gets you the result you want.

I agree with both articles about cooking fillings (what one article calls ‘add-ins’) ahead. What they failed to point out is that you should cook the fillings sufficiently ahead so they don’t go into the custard while still hot. If you dump hot onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, potato, or whatever into the custard you’ll end up with a coating of overcooked scrambled egg around the individual pieces of filling. Cook the filling ingredients first, let them cool, and then mix them in. Pretty much everything can be cooked a day or more ahead.

Ease up on the salt. The article guidance will make everything “pucker your mouth” salty. Yes - salt the eggs. You don’t need to salt the fillings separately and you can cut back if fillings bring their own salt as do bacon, carrots, turnips, beet greens, celery and chard.

By the way, when prepping ahead you can make extra and make something the day before to taste and adjust. No surprises on the day of the event. Best of luck!

2 Likes

Thank you! I use the first recipe (with onions and potatoes) several times a month, and husband and I really like it. AND we add grated Asiago for extra saltiness! We like salt, but my guests may not. Thanks for the heads up about that, and the benefits of cooling the filling!

With regard to dense vs fluff, my biggest irritation with firttata’s is how they can puff and fall. The ones in the first post looked amazing coming out of the oven, but shrunk from the wrapper when held overnight. Stiil dense and attractive, but I might make them morning of, which I had not planned to do. Do you notice if water vs milk “falls” more?

1 Like

I don’t generally cook frittatas ahead - I’ll prep them and bake at the end. The time is pretty predictable and they don’t need much attention beyond a timer. grin Accordingly I don’t have any side-by-side comparison about falling with time. As I think about it leftovers usually fall a bit compared to fresh from the oven but I can’t say I have the memory to compare water and diary.

1 Like

They fall no matter what, within about an hour of taking from the oven- maybe even faster.
I’ve made and brought frittata muffins to gatherings- usually without paper liners- and they’re universally popular, slightly deflated is not a dealbreaker
Obvs if you can bake and serve asap that’s ideal but you’re the only one who will notice/care they fell a bit if you make ahead

2 Likes

Latest frittata with Romesco practice!

6 Likes

gorgeous!

1 Like

Split the difference. Make the frittatas, which will taste better homemade (make morning of for optimal texture) and buy the more labor-intensive sandwiches.

3 Likes

A bit late here, but it would be easier to make larger quiches that could be cut into 6/8 slices each - so 4 large quiches. I’ve made the individual ones too, but for some reason they shrink more (and are harder to transport). A breakfast bake-type casserole could be cut into squares and will also be quite fast. You can go crustless like a frittata, but using cream (or buttermilk) makes for a tender egg bite the next day (and stretches volume). But if it’s because they’re pretty, I understand :slight_smile:

Re sandwiches - I remember seeing a method for bulk breakfast sandwiches on a sheet pan that could be adapted for non-breakfast. Less fancy than pressed, but might be easier to construct as well as to eat. Can’t find the one I was thinking of but the link gives a different but related idea. If you can get large rectangular foccacia, you could make a large pressed sandwich with it, and cut into squares to serve. Or you could get a couple of packs of hamburger or sandwich buns, open them out on a sheet pan, and build the sandwiches in bulk that way.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Aaaaand… fresh from SK:

2 Likes

Thanks for that link, that’s a keeper!

1 Like

Oh no! I had a plan! For those of you in the SF Bay area, the plan was Mr.Pickles!

Mr. Pickles

And today, we got a new sandwich sheriff in town called Ike’s.

Ike’s Love and Sandwiches

Different subforum?

This;
“Picking up sandwiches to go to the beach/park/pool/wherever your summer weekend takes you for a family or group of friends can be staggeringly expensive. I might even forgive the price if the sandwiches were usually better, but I’m sorry-not-sorry, they’re usually not. Either the bread is lousy and processed to the hilt, or they just don’t make them the way I want them, …”

I’m not ambitious enough to try this for my meeting (which is next Saturday, BTW), but maybe a future one, with fewer people. And maybe when I don’t need to make the sandwiches ahead.

I did see this in the comments though;

Breakfast Slab Pie

Makes sense… I think it’s actually easier to buy good bread than good sandwiches.

So you know, the focaccia recipe she uses is from a bread blogger known for easy, no-knead recipes (a la Jim lahey) - she has a book out, but here is the link to the source of the SK recipe:

1 Like

Done! My vegan was still unhappy, and one other participant felt measl fell short of expectations, but overall a good event.

Thanks all!

Congratulations! What did you ultimately do?