Mail order gift ideas for someone recovering from surgery

I was thinking of sending chicken noodle soup through Goldbelly or some other online service. I will spend up to around $100 USD.

What gifts have you sent to a long distance friend after a surgery?

1 Like

Can you have some groceries delivered?? Lean Cuisine type meals?? Easy to prepare meals/items??

I’ve been looking into “Shipt” to have groceries delivered to my mother, when she gets to the point she can no longer drive. She wants to stay in her home as long as possible.

3 Likes

When I was in a similar situation last year I received chicken noodle soup from spoonfulofcomfort.com It was very good (and I still have\use the ladle). I also received a doordash certificate which was much appreciated.

4 Likes

I could do that! Thanks for the idea.

1 Like

Thank you. I think I will give this place a try.

As I think back, besides the soup and rolls the package also included cookies, which were also very good.

3 Likes

Yes… my mother is quite particular about getting her groceries from this one store. I called them up and asked what delivery service they were affiliated with and was told “Shipt”.

Although, I haven’t used this service yet, I’ve gone through the tutorials and watched some youtube videos. It looks fairly easy and I should be able to master the process quickly.

2 Likes

That site looks great! Wish I knew of it when a friend was down with Covid recently and I was way too far away to drop off soup.

4 Likes

Yes, I never heard of it until the box appeared at my door. It was a lot of soup but it was very good.

1 Like

I have sent soup that can be delivered by a delivery person from my favourite butcher shop in Toronto, to a friend in Toronto who was sick. I don’t know the businesses well enough in San Francisco (where my friend undergoing surgery lives) to choose a local one online.

1 Like

You could post in the SFBA category.

3 Likes

I’ve done matzo ball soup through Goldbelly for a similar situation.
It’s hard to suss out what’s the appropriate recovery food, but it’s an appreciated gesture.

When I came home from serious surgery I was delivered a complete dinner (actually enough for several days) from a local caterer.

I cried.

5 Likes

Nancy’s Fancy (if recipient has room in their freezer) - the minis are a perfect single serving:

https://www.goldbelly.com/restaurants/nancys-fancy/gelato-and-sorbetto-minis-12-pack

1 Like

I certainly can’t comment on ALL the soups from Goldbelly, but when I had covid last year, someone sent chicken noodle soup from there that I found unbearably salty, and I’m not overly sensitive to salt. I threw away the 2nd package that was included.

Also, this was my fault, but I am not experienced in making soup the way the packaging called for (if memory serves, you do something like put the bag with the soup in the water and then open it somehow) and I burned myself extremely badly trying to make it. I do think for someone who is sick and not at their best, that kind of packaging is probably not ideal. Or maybe it is just my personal lack of coordination. If I hadn’t been taking care of someone else with covid though, I probably would have gone to the er. I still have scars.

Obviously, I don’t recommend this soup at all!

1 Like

Do you know if this individual would eat Progresso Chicken Noodle Soup?? If so, you could drop ship them a case or 1/2 case via ebay.

2 Likes

That’s very sweet.

Not sure! Thanks for the idea!

whatever you send, don’t send Harry & David

3 Likes

Check the dietary restrictions, if any, first.

2 Likes