Mail order gift ideas for someone recovering from surgery

I did check. ,:slight_smile: She is a foodie, and lactose-intolerant. We used to try a lot of restaurants in NYC, before she moved back to California.

2 Likes

Since you shared meals together in New York, maybe something from New York would be a nice reminder in addition to soup. Many of the well-known delis are on, as are bagel shops (which is a gift that keeps giving, because they freeze well).

Katzā€™s also delivers directly, as do many other places like Zabarā€™s. You could put together a collection of things including the chicken noodle soup (or matzoh ball).

I like the idea of the meal-assembly services too, which can have less of a premium charge (ie more of your $ spent on food than on packing / shipping), but those may be better a bit further down the road when sheā€™s up and about.

You might also check if something like Shef exists in the Bay Area, which is prepared meals from home cooks of diverse ethnicities.

2 Likes

I ended up sending the Spoonful of Comfort $99 Get Well Soon Package that included Garden Vegetable soup and Chicken Noodle soup, rolls and 6 Snickerdoodles.

My friend is lactose intolerant, so that was why I didnā€™t choose the Mac & Cheese / Chicken Noodle Soup combo.

She can tolerate cookies made with butter.

She thanked me several times. She didnā€™t mention how it tasted!

8 Likes

Things that make you say "hmmmmm "

3 Likes

I donā€™t know. I might follow up some day. She isnā€™t quite as food oriented as you or me, and she has had some serious complications, so Iā€™m not bringing it up.

She lives in California, so I decided to go with Spoonful of Comfort (I think itā€™s based in Utah) , rather than a NYC business.

2 Likes

Yeah, I never follow up. As long as I know the gift has been received itā€™s up to the giftee.

3 Likes

All great ideas, @Saregama .

Iā€™m a little wary of home-cooked meals being sold here in Canada. I realize itā€™s done in other parts of the world. I donā€™t trust other Canadian home cooks enough, for someone recovering from surgery.

1 Like

Much confidence I have in my cooking, I donā€™t think Iā€™d want to put the recipient on the spot by following up. Itā€™s not about me, after all, but the person youā€™re gifting.

Iā€™d just be happy to having been able to help out in ever which way, and that it was (hopefully) enjoyable for them.

5 Likes

All the soups were yummy, her words! Her mom also sent the chicken noodle, which was yummy!

5 Likes

Good to know! But now I want a snickerdoodle.

3 Likes

There is an organization (donā€™t know if itā€™s just local or not) called ā€œLasagna Loveā€ that will deliver a tray of homemade lasagna to your home - for people who are not feeling well enough to cook, or for people in financial need. When my 92-year-old mother was visiting last September and all 3 of us caught Covid we werenā€™t well enough to cook, I was curious and contacted them. I received an email from a woman who lived near enough and said she would be our lasagna-maker, but since she was vegan she would make a vegan lasagna for us. I managed to decline, and have since decided that regardless of the vegan issue I probably would not feel comfortable eating something made in a home kitchen by someone I didnā€™t know.

1 Like