Madrid 3 days

I did make an error…I ate at LA TASQUITA DE ENFRENTE. I generally do not like tasting menus; I prefer to order dishes that appeal to me; the main dish I loved was not on the tasting menu and I took the owner’s advice in ordering…I prefer to sometimes pay a bnit more to order dishes I think I will love…pretty sure that any dish at this restaurant will be very well executed…hop[e tpo return to Madrid in March…ay what a difficult task to decide my first week or so, before heading south!

I don´t think that Cañadío serves the tortilla for breakfast at the bar but I’m not sure, and it´s a longer ride from the center unless you´re staying in a hotel on the Avenida de América.
I’ve had the tortilla and coffee breakfast at La Primera, so I would head there.

Depending on where you’re staying on the Avenida de América (the Abba?), for an early lunch at 11:30, which in Madrid would be called an almuerzo (mid-morning snack), you can go to the bar at Cañadío, as by that time. they should have their tortilla available or other dishes. The bar opens at 9:30.
The Santito Café is open all day long and across the street from the Abba.
https://santitomadrid.com

erica,
You´re definitely going to need a week in Madrid, and I’ll be here to join you for a meal so we don´t have to meet at midnight!!

I am at the AC. Canadio is the nearest. I was originally going to be at Aloft on Gran Via and had planned to go to La Primera but unfortunately, I was too slow and it got booked out

Yes, since you’re lodged at the AC, Cañadío is the closest. You can go by sometime at breakfast when they open at 9:30 to see if they have their tortillas out at the bar.

Is Gran Cafe Santander a Canadio establishment?

Canadio tells me I can have an early meal there and that the cheesecake is available from 8 am

Yes. We were there just yesterday. It’s at Alonso Martínez metro
Service is much better at Cañadío.

Taste wise the quality control is pretty much the same? I may not have a choice if I want to dine early.

Yes and it serves the Cañadío groups’ greatest hits.

An article appeared today in ABC Gastronomía about Madrid restaurants where one can dine “gastronomically” without forfeiting one’s entire pay check, for around €50/p.:

BICHOPALO, chef driven with open kitchen by chef Daniel Pozuelo and his brother Guillermo, with a 6-course tasting menu only, served Tues.-Sat., lunch & dinner. €40/p. In Chamberí
https://bichopalo.es

TRIPEA, the gourmet restaurant with 14 seats, long table, in the Mercado de Vallehermoso, a Peruvian street food-southwest Asian combo by chef Roberto Martínez. His terrific 8-course, €50 tasting menu is served Tues.-Sat. with 2 seatings, at 14:30 and 21:30. One Repsol sun. In Chamberí.
https://www.tripea.es.

TREZE, the gourmet restaurant of chef Saúl Sanz that we love, one of the temples of market-driven cuisine and THE place to try game dishes in season. Here he serves a tasting menu for €55, consisting
of several amuse bouches, two starters, two mains and dessert.
TERZIO, the chef’s informal sandwich-centric place across the street now serves the chef’s daily €14.50 menu of the day, consisting of 3 tapas of the day, some with an international touch (gyozas, etc), a main from which to choose, often in winter a stew, or in summer, a cold soup, along with one’s choice of drink, bread, dessert or coffee. One Repsol sun & Michelin recommended. In Salamanca.

BIBO, one of Michelin-starred chef Dan García’s several Madrid outposts, the most lavishly decorated, serves a “fast good” menu priced at €39, served Mon.-Fri. at lunch, and includes the chef’s iconic dishes such as Bull Burger or brioche of oxtail. In Salamanca.
https://grupodanigarcia.com/bibo/en/madrid/.

ROBUCHON, the elegant new Madrid outpost of the Robuchon group, housed in the former space of the gourmet delicatessen Embassy. It serves a Mon.-Fri. lunch “executive menu”, from 1:00-3:30 priced at €35 that allows diners to try some of the late Joël Robuchon’s emblematic dishes such as his celebrated potato puré. The menu changes weekly and is served in the ground floor space, the LÁmbassade. In Salamanca.

IKIGAI VELÁZQUEZ, here chef Yong Wu Nagahira fuses Spanish and Japanese gastronomy. His “KOrto” menu served Mon.-Fri., consists of a starter, such as a vegetable tempura, 3 classic nigiris and three fusion dishes chosen by the chef, a dessert, drink, coffee for €45. One Repsol sun. In Salamanca.
http://ikigairestaurantes.com

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Have you been to any of the places? Dani Garcia’s Bibo was recommended to me for the yoghurt con foie tapa.

Got into Bilbao earlier today and had an early lunch at Los Fueros which you recommended. Nice first meal except for the torrija which wasn’t as good as the rest of the dishes. Very nice grilled white prawns in garlic sauce which you recommended & scallops from Galicia.

I haven’t been to Ikigai because I don’t go to many fusion places in Madrid except for Tripea. I’ve been to Robuchon only for breakfast, Bichopalo for lunch and I like Treze very much. It’s best in winter when the chef does game dishes.

Hi are you free to meet up on Sat 23 Sep? I have a 1 pm booking at Juana La Loca & am going solo. Anytime after is also ok. Would be good to meet in person after all this time.

@mikey8811
I would love to meet up. I just don’t know when we need to do our “empadronamiento” for our residency and also when our worldly belongings are going to arrive from the US, so right now I can’t commit but may be able to find out soon.
When I found out if I’m free, I’ll certainly send you a PM!

Cool let me know. Hopefully we can meet up

OK so I queued twice for the Bar Nestor tortilla & didn’t make the quota. Shame. I’ll always wonder what I missed out on - FOMO in play.I felt bad for the American girl in front of me. She queued up twice that day for lunch & dinner & missed both.

The Bar Antonio one was nice although not runny as per your description but steaming hot at breakfast time. Boulevard doesn’t do breakfast.

Trip report with lots of food photos coming soon I hope…

The tortilla at Bar Antonio Boulevard isn’t runny like those Betanzos style, it´s very, very caramelized and dark. I’ve had it there but not at the breakfast hour. Sorry you missed out on the one at Néstor! It’s a small slice and I don’t think you missed that much.

What’s a good bar for the Gilda that’s open on a Monday? Bar Txepeta keeps selling out when I go.

Thanks

Bar Txepeta keeps selling out of gildas ??? or keeps selling out of their specialty, the Anoxia con crema de centollo (Cantabria anchovy with a spider crab cream)?

The Bodega Donostiarra in Gros is know for their gildas. It opens on Mondays at 9 or 9:30 on Mon. But… their killer sandwich that everyone orders is the “Completo”, with white tuna, Cantabrian anchovies and chili peppers. It’s a gooey mess but tastes great.

But where “supposedly” (although it may be a myth) the gilda was invented was at Casa Vallés in the center on Calle Reyes Católicos. That’s where I would have one.

1 Like