Madrid 3 days

Any thoughts on Casa Amedeo Los Caracoles near Juana La Loca?

Don’t know it. Near Juana la Loca I only know the places on Cava Alta and Cava Alta. And the Galician, Xentes on Humilladero.

Just have a full meal at juana loca! Place is delicious be sure to call ahead for reservations.

Thanks.

I made one online for the 1 pm slot - that was all they had.

Juana la Loca only takes reservations for 1 or for 8, both the times when they open. After that, it gets extremely busy with the bar 5 deep, especially on weekends.
And be sure to order the tortilla.

Casa Los Caracoles is an old time tavern from 1942 in Lavapiés. They serve sangría, which would for me be eliminating (tourist drink :slight_smile: ).
I´m not especially a snail fan, but if you are…they’re served in a spicy sauce with ham and chorizo, the owner’s mother’s recipe, that may or may not appeal. The tavern owner is famous for having the most longevity.

There are many of these old time bars in La Latina and around the Rastro. They serve the crowds attending the Sunday flea market and are places where you drop in during the vermouth hour, have a vermouth and the tavern’s signature tapa.

The last time we went to the Sunday Rastro we stopped for a vermouth, beer and a tapa (their “gilda” skewer) at the tiny TABERNA BAREA at Rodas 2, near the legendary Malacatín (the cocido place).
We chose it because it gets a nod from the Repsol guide, always for us a good sign.

This is a “taberna revistada”, an old time bar updated by a banker and an engineer who create their tapas from ingredients from local organic producers and wines from small wineries. They’re known for their “cocas”, the catalán pizza type snack, their “pastel cordobés”, their “chicharrones” Cádiz style and what we ordered, the “marinara murciana”, a type of Russian salad. Cheeses come from the best purveyors. It’s an interesting place with a vintage type, original décor.

Here are the photos of their “greatest hits”:
https://www.guiarepsol.com/es/comer/de-tapeo/tasca-barea-en-lavapies-madrid/.

Thanks for that.

Have you done a tortilla comparison in Madrid and San Se - doubtless you have had them all? Between the ones at the Canadio group, Casa Dani, Juana La Loca, Antonio, Bar Nestor, Bodega Donostiarria.

Which one did you like best?

@mikey8811
Haven’t done all of them! (yet…I’m working on it…yesterday it was Casa Dani and the Cañadío group, for a refresh).

Madrid
The Casa Dani version is magnificent and cheap! It´s addictive. We take a whole one home for dinner sometimes.

San Sebastián
The one at Antonio Bar is very different, less runny and much more caramelized onions, darker.
Bodega Donostiarra’s are totally different, no onions (I don’t think) and individually made in the kitchen for one. You can order one with Roquefort, the original, one made with cod, etc.
The Néstor one is by the slice, and has to be ordered in advance, as they only do two a day, one at 1 pm and the other at 8 pm.
Many people either stand at the door before they open to put their names on the list or they call ahead to order their slice.
And Néstor only has one table, the (in) famous “table 19”, for sit down dining to enjoy its tomato salad and its txuleta.

1 Like

On the Bar Nestor website, it says you cannot call in to reserve the tortilla.

Can Table 19 be reserved in advance by phone?

Gabriella calls since she’s a pro, but I guess they don´t want the ¨call ahead to reserve¨ known to all.

I don´t know whether Table 19 can be reserved by phone but have your concierge or hotel desk staff call.

1 Like

You can get to Bar Nestor just when it opens the door to order your slice(s). Hard to understand why they can’t make a second one, but with that tomato salad, it really is a treat. And I thought there were stools at the bar? That’s my memory anyway, but still only a few.

The wife, if she’s still making it, just doesn’t want to make more than two.
Yes, there are (or were) stools at the bar but only a few.
Given the lines in front of the best pintxos bars these days, you should get there plenty early to order your slice.

The lines have been incredible this summer in the Old Quarter and will continue to be during the entire month of September, I imagine.
In fact, Ganbara, once the bar area is filled, doesn’t. admit any more people, or at least they didn’t during Tamborrada. With Gabriella we had to eat our pintxos at her “table 15”, which was out on the street. She ordered from the waitress at the door, and the waitress brought our order to us in the sidewalk, and we propped up our drinks and our pintxos on the stone wall (her “table 15”).

It’s a running joke that you need to book Néstor’s special “table 19”, since it’s the only table.

2 Likes

First time I was ever in San Sebastian, it was end of November. Yeah, it was a bit rainy (as I recall) and foggy on some days, but still mild (compared to New York), and really a great time to visit, IMO. 'Twas my first visit (just before SS) to Barcelona that trip, and I remember being able to have my coffee outside while wearing a t-shirt. I think I wouldn’t visit SS in the summer (or September, I’ve been there during that film festival too, also very packed) again!

Is the Cebada market near Juana La Loca worth visiting?

Yes, it is. On Sundays, the stands give out free samples, degustations from 11 to 5, and it’s very lively.

1 Like

You asked about Tasqueria de Enfrente. I liked it but I believe it is not for everyone…prices are quite high; I can only say it is a “particular” restaurant…probably best if you are a repeat diner but I had a good time as a solo…Maribel can tell you more!

@erica1 That does sound kind of intimidating. I do not speak Spanish but can understand the terms on the menu - have had enough Spanish meals for that. I am clearly non-native let alone a Spanish speaker of any ilk. I have a Saturday night booking…

You say you paid EUR 117. The tasting menu is EUR 100. Would you not have been better off with that?

Mikey,
Do you have a reservation at La Tasquite de Enfrente or La Tasquería, the offal temple?

I have both on separate days - I realise @erica1 made a typo.

The Tasquita de Enfrente one is on a Saturday night

La Tasqueria is another day for lunch

Wow! You have a great lineup!

I hope so. All thanks to you guys.

By the way, does Canadio serve the tortilla for breakfast like La Primera does? I know that La Primera has a breakfast set with the tortilla and a coffee for EUR 5.50.

Also, is there anywhere near Avenida de America that I can get an early lunch at around 11.30? My flight leaves in the afternoon and I was trying to fit in another meal before I go.