What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

“Chimney” pastry again. Crispy but too sweet. Despite that it’s still better than all other stalls.

Found a new tea and cup, in Budapest of all places. I have the same cup brought with me from Taipei, made of glass. This one is some kind of china.

Had to look up Japanese Haicha. Not much info out there. The bag is 100gr and costs me eur.10,-.

Other photos…

Found a Forever Alone bench! It’s big enough for 1 person.

It’s not me, it’s you. Clearly we have different priorities. Shopping is 1 of the things I despise the most in life.

Soba with tempura.

6 Likes

Yes!!! Great idea !!!

Sometimes when I am going international I pack old clothes on purpose just so I can throw them out to make room for smuggled comestibles on the home trip.

I have also been known to pack corn fed US steaks to Sweden.

Nothing says I love you like a suitcase full of charcuterie.

Good tip for the old clothes!

For lunch we had a salad Bordelaise: lettuces, tomatoes, shallots, dried smoked duck breast and of course, foie gras. After we have some shared 2 quails among 5 of us. With glasses champagne, we are still in the mood of feast…

5 Likes

Omlette: gruyere, jarlsberg, uncured bacon, champignon, ciboulette sauvage.

1 Like

I like your ciboulette effect on your photo! Looks yummy! Did you have magic mushroom as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ate this before headed out. I have lots of sausages brought with me from Budapest so I’m eating them 1 by 1 now. Even found pomelo in a supermarket. Tokaj is so small and everything is so limited. It’s probably not easy to live here if you are complicated, have a complicated lifestyle, have (expensive) hobbies etc.

Came back from my walkabout to have a late lunch at this restaurant, recommended by an employee at the lodging.

Sat next to the fireplace again.

Menu says “fish cracklings” but it’s actually bits of deep fried fish. Fish was not swampy tasting.

Fish soup. Soup caldrons are a lot smaller than VikingK’s.

Another fish soup. This one has soured cream, I think. I liked it.

A couple of photos from my walkabout earlier.

I noticed this little coat of arms of the town on a lamp post…

Found out a minute later it’s on every lamp post.

The train station. We walked there and back, 2km x2. Train tickets for the next town are secure.

Wiki has a nice photo of Tokaj. The town is really small. I’m near the end of the populated area and it’s not a long walk from the bridge. You can see the restaurant where I had lunch -the long building, near the intersection, bottom right of the photo,ingcome from the left side of the bridge.

5 Likes

I will manage, with a fast internet line and an efficient post office, that will be alrighty. :grin: Especially, they have real fire place, nice fish soup and beautiful lamp posts.

The way they cut the cucumber is funny.

Internet is good here, as are the wines. The smell of wood burning (fireplace) is everywhere.

The town is at its busiest in the summer. Yes, I think you’d do OK here.

The sardines are speaking to me at the moment :slight_smile:

I was joking, I need at times to eat food from elsewhere, that seems difficult…there

Today’s lunch…

Here my in-laws are accustomed to big lunch and very light dinner. So we started our meal with some Italian antipasto Bruschetta, prosciutto, mortadella, rosette on grilled bread with pickles… then grilled pork with a creamy Roquefort sauce and the classic poêlé de petit pois - onion, peas lettuces, mushrooms and some aromatic herbs. A clafoutis with prunes to finish off the meal.

Tomorrow night we will be leaving, glad that I can start cooking again. I think I need some soup!!

4 Likes

Good lord!!!

Had a standard lunch before wine tastings (yesterday).

I ordered the first 4 dry Tokaj wines. Shortly after the man brought out a glass of another wine for us to try. Then a plate of cheese his friend made.

After 10 different wines we decided which to buy for drinking later. Man said it was the last bottle. Showed us the bottle, there was only enough for a glass left.

Just after I made this photo he brought us a glass of the rest of this wine!

We thought that was the end but no! He brought a few slices of Hungarian grey cattle salami his other friend made! We were talking about Mangalica pigs and Hungarian grey cattle.

And before he cleared the glasses… a glass of Palinka, traditional fruit brandy. Hungarians drink it with everything, before, during and after. He brought us all kinds of things and did not charge for them. We had a good chat.

The ceramic tiled hearth in front of us.

I’m one of those weird people who likes blurry photos. This is a bokeh shot of the wine glasses.

3 Likes

This reminds how great travelling and meeting interesting people!

Today’s lunch, mushroom with pasta + shrimps + bulots in French, whelk in English?! (Anyone can help will great!)

3 Likes

A perfect pizza.

4 Likes

Yes, whelks. I eat them sometimes but mostly in a soup.

More soups. When I get home I won’t be making this kind of soup so I’m eating it whilst I’m still here.

Carp soup

Where the 2 rivers meet. On the bridge, walking to lunch restaurant.

More wine tastings yesterday. We were the only 2 people at every place. Just a couple of photos because they seem all the same if you are not there drinking.

At a nice place, in a 500 year old house.

It amuses me they always mention Goethe. He used to like all the beers and wines wherever he had travelled to or lived. True or not we shall never know.

Employee and I were talking and out of nowhere he offered to give us a tour of the cellar. Partner said “we often get special treatment because of you”. I seem to have a strange effect on people.

Tiny cellar under the house.

Happy new year, all! I’m off to a new town shortly.

2 Likes

Gotta be honest with you, carp is not my favorite fish, even when you put a lot of garlic, ginger and soy on it.

Or, in this case, paprika.

There is another name for that…

BTW, two hundred years ago people liked much sweeter, if not fortified wines because they traveled better.

George Washington’s favorite wine was Madeira, which we now drink as an apero or after dinner if not in cooking a sauce.

Similarly the tokaj and rhenish (hock) wines were really sweet.

This becomes easier to understand when you realize that these wines were transported great distances with no climate control.

Also, people did not have as much sugar in their diet, as this was still very expensive, so anything sweet was a rare treat.

Yeah, makes perfect sense. In that case I would drink a lot of beer in the middle ages, as I do now, assuming beer wasn’t as sweet back then. Women used to be in charge of making beer then.

In Goslar they also claim Goethe used to love Gosebier. Wherever Goethe had been to he loved the alcohol there, apparently.

Lunch in Debrecen. It was so big we have no desire to eat anything else til tomorrow. Restaurant is so dark and the lighting was deep yellow. I had to resort to using flash on the camera.

Goose liver

Duck breast

Mangalica pork (2 big pieces) and a pile of fried onions. Plus fried potatoes with fresh cheese underneath. Hungarians love (fried) onions, even more than paprika, according to my Culinaria Hungary book.

Got to the big supermarket near my lodging just 5 minutes before closing time to get water and bubbly. They only have cheap Hungarian sparkling wines and everyone was buying it so we got one as well. So what happens when one’s birthday falls on the 30th? You drink sparkling wine and have a marathon of Seinfeld, Absolutely Fabulous and Muriel’s Wedding all the way into new year.

It has been a fantastic year. I’m incredible fortunate and thankful.

Present to myself. Watching Muriel’s Wedding now. Still do year after year. The partner knows every line, complete with the accent of each character!

5 Likes