What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

Nice one, VikingK. The web gives me many results for Schwäbische Küchen books, most of which I’ve never seen before.

Aussieshepsx2, the kind of salad I make at home (but without any dressing)!

Wintersports on German channels all weekend, and that means I park my arse on the couch with endless beer (and less cooking projects).

Hope my cat likes the bones 'cause the eel tastes so good! No dark rye bread but that’s my very own sourdough you are looking at (100g rye and 400g whole wheat flour). I often eat raw beetroots and black radish.

I rarely eat something sweet but when I do it’s Lebkuchen. Tomorrow is the equivalent of Christmas for children in some northern European countries. These are some of the treats for the occasion.

Buy from a bakery, remove the original packaging, wrap it up with your own gift papers and give it to the neighbours/colleagues/acquaintances etc and say you have made it yourself. No, I have never done it but you could. I don’t know/like anyone enough.

This one is crunchy.

3 Likes

Wanneer Sinteklaas staat voor de deur !

Did you put your Klompen outside the door?

Watch out for the Black Peter …

(And no, yet again, I am not being racist)

By the way, that has to be the worst black face in that photo that I have ever seen. It actually looks more green than black…

lol … I love eel but I’m not sure I could eat it in in the form it is pictured in.

Talking about eel, a good smoked one costs a fortune. I bought half an eel yesterday, around 34€ (75€/kg). That one in your pict is a lot. Isn’t it too salty to eat it like that?

I love love love smoked eel. It is so good:

Did you know they have eel parties in Skåne?

A good one is seven courses of different eel dishes: poached eel, cold smoked eel, fried eel, baked eel, hot smoked (halmad) eel, jellied (ålaladåb) eel, and eel soup.

It also includes eggs scrambled with heavy cream, good rye bread, pressed potatoes, and lots of bitter drams to cut the fat.

Inevitable stories, singing and toasts in the usual Scandinavian fashion ensue, often with an accordion or fiddle player.

Yes, smoked eel IS expensive. It’s a treat once in a while.

Smoked eel here are small, unlike in Germany and what I saw in Helsinki. At least a metre long. I like the kind we have here and I think it’s more delicate in taste and texture. Not so salty, actually. All other things I eat with the eel have no salt so it balances out.

VikingK, is smoked eel also big in Sweden?

Oneday I’ll go to this town in Germany just to eat their most well-known speciality which is smoked eel. They have been smoking it for 900 years. Name of town is Bad Zwischenahn.

It goes exceptionally well with (scrambled) eggs. There’s a recipe for that in my Swabian cookery book.

Haha… squeamish? In Germany it’s served whole like that. Saw it in a food magazine and it’s the same in Denmark.

Have a look at the 2 photos here, scroll all the way down. :joy:

Nope … not happening.
In Denmark I ate it cut into sections.

In the south, see my reference to the eel party above.

It’s huge.

The best are home smoked.

1 Like

My creation: Orzo Italian pasta+ French beer roasted pork + arugula + Japanese nattō + dried herbs + spicy Korean chilli broth = lunch

Actually quite good.

3 Likes

Nice, Naf. I still like natto on sliced bread.

Smoked eel again.

Top view

Only 3 of these are egg yolks!

No texture to focus on.

Grated on avocado and toasted sourdough.

4 Likes

I don’t know if others have this problem, but I’m thinking of what’s for lunch while eating breakfast.

While spying a couple of eggplants on the counter a caponata for lunch came to mind.

7 Likes

@Scubadoo97 At least you planned during your breakfast. I start to think only at lunch. I have eggplants for dinner though.

Yesterday was flounder pan cooked in butter, sided with a cucumber and arugula salad, lime juice.

3 Likes

The cured yolks were new to me until recently. I see many applications

Yours look good.

How long did you cure those?

Pytt i panna, rödbetor o stekt ägg:

Simplest is best when it comes to (delicate/white) fish.

8 or 9 days under the salt and sugar mixture (less salt than sugar ratio). Several more days to dry. I just let it in the open in the kitchen.

Gonna make another batch and let it cure for 3 weeks and see what happens when I get back.

Btw, can you tell the dried apricots from the egg yolks on the plate? :stuck_out_tongue:

Love the sound of Svenska. The best sounding language for me.

Your plate looks like Swedish hash. Is it then? I’m partial to Bauernfrühstück and Tiroler Gröstl. :older_woman:

Si.

1 Like

No. They both looked the same

First thing I do when I get to my lodging is clean. Everything I will be touching and using needs to be cleaned again, by me. My quality control is so strict so far nobody gets it right.

These are the first few things that need cleaning and sterilsing. This lodging has no dishwasher and that means lots of manual work and a big waste of water, not to mention inefficiency. Incompetence and inefficiency make me mad.

Finally, I could sit down to my decent lunch. Here in Hungary, the pig, goose, duck are king, knight and bishop (respectively).

Hungarian brawn. I love it. Luckily I can get it from a Hungarian stallholder at the market. Garlicky, paprika rich, has rinds and other things we shall never know what exactly in it. There’s also a version with blood. Maybe I should try that next.

It’s no Germany but this bread is very decent.

Went to the christmas market directly after lunch just for this… “chimney” pastry.

Had it once in Prague in 2005, also at a christmas market. Their rig back then was more primitive and more complicated. I prefer that primitive rig, actually.

Plan to visit every stall to eat this before I leave.

2 Likes

Lots of sushi, all of which was secondary to the setting. Nobu Malibu. The So Cal beaches, post rain, are spectacular.

5 Likes