What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

I never tried blue corn. What’s the difference in taste when compared to the white or yellow ones?

Probably just my imagination, but the blue corn seem to have a little more intense corn flavor and are maybe a little denser.

But I’m sure blindfolded I couldn’t tell the difference.

I’m a zombie. Probably go back to bed soon. Just got home last night, and this was lunch when I woke up. Would have to do til I could get to the shops (if I don’t fall asleep again).

Brought back from Spain and France.

Smokey squid

4 Likes

Is that pulpo I see?

Toothpick please !:grin:

Wow. Superjelly.

Lunch was reinvented from leftover dinners a few nights ago. Steelhead trout, asparagus, corn and zucchini

4 Likes

Another reinvented lunch from yesterday’s leftover shellfish. The colour of the rice comes from the sauces that came with the shellfish. I didn’t season at all, the sauces took care of that.

I don’t eat rice more than once a week (not a big fan) but this was good.

I just piled some rice on a plate. Don’t know how to make rice look “nice”.

The rest of my lunch.

Last thing I ate before boarding. Ate them all the way home. Last 2 were eaten with soup broth when we got home, then went to bed shortly afterwards because we were so fking tired.

3 different kinds of Banh Mi.

Last IPA at the airport. We got $16 left thinking it would be enough for 2 beers. Turned out it was only enough for 1 beer. Airport price. $9+ then taxes and tips on top of that.

It’s good to be home, especially the one you own! I couldn’t wait to leave! Must be old. Wherever I go I just want to go home!

2 Likes

Yesterday. First herrings in 6 long weeks! Still pink and buttery, almost like in spring. I’m so lucky to have a good fishmonger.

THIS is what good herrings should look like.

Misanthropic bliss. Half of the way I cycle next to a “river”. It is actually a river, just a narrow one.

Forgot to post this last week. My last lunch in Montreal. Again, monstrous portion size and they are “small”.

With their grilled chicken bits and choriço.

Last Portuguese grilled chicken.

2 Likes

I was playing with cured egg yolks a couple of days ago

Potato, collards, oxtail and yolk

3 Likes

Creative use for your leftovers.

I have plans to cure some yolks this week but I want mine hard, for grating. How long did you let yours cure?

Some lunch this past weekend:

Grated blue cheese (melted in the oven) and topped with king trumpets and golden enoki (I think).

There’s also Hungarian brawn in the between. Not sure if you guys are familiar with that.

Wurst, Sauerkraut, mustard etc.

The plate

Overhead view of both. Bavarian patterned napkin and twine to hold the bread in place.

1 Like

Are those Dutch matjes ?

Italian sausage patties served on toasted brioche buns, topped with melted Parmesan, arugula, basil, and a few sliced cherry tomatoes.

2 Likes

Something Turkish. Poached eggs eaten with yogurt and butter sauce. Name is Çilbir (pronounced something like “chi-bare”). Black stuff is Isot Biber, Turkish pepper.

Got a big piece of Faroe Island salmon to smoke. Used the belly for this tartare. Also added finely chopped truffle to it.

The salmon I smoked using mesquite chips.

Yes.
And you can also see the maatjes are being cleaned in the photo. I have a short clip I made of the herrings being cleaned at my regular fishmonger’s herring stall here.

1 Like

From the far reaches of north western Europe this weekend.

More prawns

Black radish

Cured for 4 days, left in the fridge to dry for another 5. Smoked just before eating. So good!

The dried juniper berries used in the curing salt and for smoking.

1 Like

Dayum. Ever thought of opening a B&L? Because I would eat there ALL the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha… no. But if I did I would want to have you over ALL the time!

1 Like

Here are some Swedish matjes shots for you:

Swedish matjes have an unusual set of spices and are usually served with sour cream and chive instead of the onion with Dutch matjes.

Here is another unusual herring for you, Böckling, which are smoked herrings from the gulf of Bothnia:

Finally here is a little glassmästarens sill, another Swedish specialty:

I love herring !

1 Like

I had herrings in Norway and they look similar.

I love them, too, but at the end of the day I still prefer the maatjes. Good maatjes needs nothing to accompany them.

Kale has been eaten in Europe for over 2000 years. Betcha the hipsters didn’t know that.

French lentils and black radish for contrast and crunch factor.

I love beetroots and I love old Stilton so why not combine the two?! Wine was Albariño.

Cut open. Yellow stuff around the edges is Merquen chili oil.

2 of my favourite cheeses next to each other.

Tirolean Speck and roast beef.

3 Likes

Yep. And whenever I or my German or Swedish relatives eat it it is always cooked, usually with smoked meats.

No offense intended, but I think that raw kale is just nasty. I still absolutely do not get why raw kale is all the rage on NYC restaurant menus. To me it is like eating broccoli rabe raw. Eeuuwww.