Lunch 2024

Thanks for the description. One of the Asian restaurants near my office serves omurice and never ordered it because I didn’t know what it was :slight_smile:

Good luck with your move back to the US and I hope you can find somewhere to call home. And hopefully you will be able to relocate to Japan permanently one day.

1 Like

Longtime favorite and go-to whenever I have tomatoes waiting to be used: Naomi Duguid’s golden egg curry.
I love how simple this is. There are versions of this Burmese curry with more ingredients, but this one tastes perfect to me as is. I simplify it even more because I rarely have fresh chilies, so I just use cayenne.
I like to double up on everything besides the eggs so I have more sauce to spoon over rice.
I tend to cook the shallots (often onions) a bit longer and sometimes I peel the tomatoes (or use canned). Because I love the combo of fish sauce and tomatoes so much I just squirt it into the sauce and fairly certain it’s always more than called for. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Any scallions/cilantro I have tend to get tossed in at the end.
It’s really one of the easiest and quickest meals and one I crave often.

Served with buttery rice for the comfort factor.

8 Likes

Where did you source the recipe? The only one of Naomi Duguid’s cookbooks I have is “The Seductions of Rice” which she wrote with her then husband Jeffrey Alford. I love the rice pilaf in that book.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Today’s take out lunch was a doner box. Doner meat was served poutine style with fries coated with florescent coloured cheese sauce topped with beef.

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!

7 Likes

The “spicy ham” from a favorite, local sandwich join that just opened a new location that’s even closer to me! Loads of ham, cheese, pickled jalapenos, crispy fried onions, lettuce tomato and spicy mayo on a terrific, fresh sub bun. Place was jumping at around 11:30 AM , but the service was swift and friendly.
Half for lunch and the other half for later.

11 Likes

You’re welcome and thank you for your kind words. “Spanish rice” is the closest thing I can think of to what’s inside the omelette. It’s basically rice mixed with ketchup and onions which sometimes has minced chicken or green peppers in it, To me, it tastes like the rice served in Mexican restaurants served in the US.

Regarding returning to Japan one day, that would be great, but at this age, I imagine it’ll only be as a tourist, not a resident.

2 Likes

Um, what is that?

Savory soufflé with ham, shrimp, veg, and ?? One bite enough for me, DW enjoyed the rest.

I stuck with the Strawberries Cheesecake.

9 Likes

Taste Soooo Good!! - Rare Oyster Find at Diana’s Seafood!

I was ecstatic to see my favorite flat oyster - ’ French Belon ’ available at Diana’s. Bought a dozen, size about 00. Shucked a few for afternoon tea augmented with a few BC ’ Beach Medium '!

Tasting note:

The Belon exhibits an initial mild, brinley sea water flavour followed by a sweet, creamy, metallic aftertaste once the meaty and plump body is bitten into. Great textural contrast between the crunchy fibre rim and the spongy main body.

The BC Beach Medium was extremely salty which tends to overpower the flavour components of the entire morsel. Not as plump and meaty as flats with rim fibre dominates. So-So!

6 Likes

Karaage, rice with sesame oil and sesame seeds, cucumbers pickled with rice wine and fish sauce, and some shredded cabbage.

10 Likes

Egg (s) gently fried in chili crisp, topped with a warmed tortilla and flipped onto a hot plate. Arugula with a light spritz of evoo, salt, no pepper, sliced avocado and mini Marzano tomatoes on the side.

11 Likes

Olive and tomato salad with cream cheese and cucumbers on homemade dark rye

17 Likes

That’s beautiful!

2 Likes

Thank you! It was a nostalgia meal. My grandparents used to take me to a deli that had cream cheese and olive sandwiches on rye. Some days you need comfort food!

5 Likes

Brunch: Aldi’s lox and 3 local eggs scrambled with scallions and Penzey’s Fox Point seasoning. Sharp creamed horseradish on the side :slight_smile:

11 Likes

In keeping with my comments about how my diet is usually Fat Carb Bomb City (in the “Healthy?” thread), I decided to have a salad for lunch.

The bagged salads were 1/2 price last week so I overbought (who, me?) and got 3 of them, forgetting that it was my wife’s in-office week so she wouldn’t be eating lunches here with me. So I’m trying to get through them before the wilt does.

Simple affair, mixed 2 kinds of greens together layered with diced up chunks of leftover pork tenderloin, 4-cheddar shreds, lowfat (Gasp! accidental failure-of-attention-to-detail type of purchase) and a vinaigrette with avoc oil and some leftover stevia-sweetened blackberry juice.

Did I remember to photo it? No, but it wasn’t very attractive anyway. Tasted good, though.

5 Likes

Kale pork rice from a local Korean food stand.

10 Likes

I was gonna guess laab. Nice!

1 Like