Lunch 2023 (!)

Ooh! Lecker! Although I’d need a nap after that…

It was up on to the Roof and the Tree after Lunch to hang the Star and Lights.
Kein Nicken! Es gibt Arbeit zu erledigen! :smiley:

1 Like

Nach dem Essen sollst Du ruhn, oder 1000 Schritte tun. I can’t nap anyway, so I usually try to take a walk after lunch.

Yeah, I also find a walk or some kind of activity is best for me.
If I don’t Walk after Dim Sum I am a Zombie all day.

1 Like

Easier to do the post-meal walk after lunch than dinner, tho - which tends to be my big(ger) meal of the day. After having busted my shoulder during a Verdauungsspaziergang um den Block during dusk I’m not inclined to risk another injury. Temps aren’t particularly appealing for post-dinner walks here, either. Brrrrrr :cold_face:

1 Like

Kitsune udon again. I’ve been making dashi and udon kaeshi following recipes from the recently released Rintaro: Japanese Food from an Izakaya in California by Sylvan Mishima Brackett and Jessica Battilana Aya Brackett. With frozen udon (Shirakiku brand this time). Is the dashi better than instant? Yeah. Pretty easy to make too.

13 Likes

The last of Sunday’s sausage / kale / bean / potato soup :sob: I’m going to miss it.

7 Likes

MEAT😂

London Broil with horseradish sauce

I’m making my salad now, as an after lunch snack.

13 Likes

The fish soup from Kajsas Fisk, Stockholm. Generously portioned with cod, salmon, shrimp, and mussels, in a spicy tomato broth, and topped with a dollop of garlic aioli. At 135kr (~13USD) this is likely the best deal in town.

11 Likes

Pepper turkey and Swiss sandwich

9 Likes

CI came out with a curry bricks recipe and it made me crave Japanese curry. It’s pretty spot on and simpler than a lot of homemade approaches to Japanese curry. If anything, it’s almost too spot-on. When I make it from scratch I tend to go for a slightly looser consistency. This really has the consistency of the stuff from the box. I watered it down a bit. This makes mild curry, so anyone who likes the hotter versions should add some chili flakes or cayenne or their pepper paste of choice. And anyone who likes sweeter can add apple, ketchup, honey, air any of the other common additions.
As usual this type of curry has too much gravy for the amount of meat, but I was counting on that so leftover can become potato croquette curry or katsu curry.
Ate it with some pickled beets I made rather than the ginger that I can’t get here.

3 Likes

Our Friday lunch tradition, briefly interrupted by a silly holiday break, continues: 2 Cajun shrimp tacos, one beef barbacoa. All of them fantastic as ever :yum:

A10C5BA7-F7FE-4218-ACF6-856CF6E65051_4_5005_c

6 Likes

Capture
Birrira, manchego, cojita, sliced radishes, lime on two double-stacked flour tortillas, and salsa on the side.

No eggplants or shrimp to be seen.

7 Likes

Patience, Grasshopper…

1 Like

Brunch. Hot crab (Phillip’s–had to purge the freezer) sandwiches and a little baked grated sharp cheddar cheese ‘frico’.

6 Likes

We have a relatively new PR place in town run by young peeps that has become a hugely popular hangout for the local Latino contingent, and they cook up a few PR specialties on Saturdays.

We swung by and grabbed pollo al ajillo, chicharron, and yellow rice. The meats are delicious, the rice a tad bit underdone. I wish we’d ordered a tripleta to share before pickling balls, but the wait was long enough as it was. We’ll also have to get the mofongo next time around.

0BAD83B5-37A0-4A0C-A918-3E7BEA2FBC46_4_5005_c

D481A296-00A4-4C7F-85FB-3D40055F76C3_4_5005_c

7 Likes

A couple of nights ago, we went to Wu’s Wonton King, and I got one of my favorites, snow pea shoots with three kinds of egg. Note that this is only one of MY favorites, because my companions are terrified of century eggs, which is one of the three kinds. So I had a lotta leftovers. The first time I attacked them, I ate most of the egg. So today, I had to add some back!

8 Likes

Absolutely adore stir-fried pea shoots, but am with your companions on the century egg. Eh.

I don’t think there’s anything you can do to an egg that I won’t like. Except get bacon all over it, or something.

How 'bout straight outta the shell?