Lunch 2023 (!)

2 Likes

Stopped for groceries. Saw this couscous in the cold case. Added a little olive oil and lemon. Tasty, unexpected lunch!

7 Likes

Repurposed leftovers from last night’s hot pot meal: diced the salmon belly a bit smaller, added a diced avocado, some finely chopped shallot, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, togarashi, sesame seeds, cilantro. Quick-seared the remaining three black tiger shrimp I’d tossed in olive oil & orange pepper. Quite the luxurious lunch, but someone’s gotta do it :smiley:

9 Likes

6 Likes

It’s time to use up the plethora of carrots in the fridge. One of my favourite salads at this time of year is a caesar style vegetable salad from one of my Sunset coookbooks. It calls for using an assortment of root vegetables dressed with a caesar salad dressing. Today I used broccoli, a purple carrot and a yellowish greenish pepper.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Spinach and lentil soup with pecorino and pasta. Using my skimmer to get the pasta out of the pot so I don’t have to futz with a heavy pot of water. Hit the spot!

13 Likes

Too good not to post, inspired and adapted from a sandwich in the NYT. Mortadella, ricotta, pistachio pesto made for a really delicious sandwich. The pesto was ground pistachios , basil and evoo. I added a few drizzles of balsamic to cut the richness. Fresh ricotta was drained on paper towels for a few minutes which firmed it up nicely. Can’t wait to make it again!

13 Likes

Homemade Vietnamese spring rolls. (Rice paper, shrimp and langoustine meat, mint, basil, rice noodles, Napa cabbage, peanut sauce).

16 Likes

Those look great!

2 Likes

Your rice paper rolling skills are far superior to mine! Those look great!

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. My first time attempting this. The recipe I followed was insistent that when it’s time to compose the rolls, soak the rice paper one at a time and then make sure the completed rolls don’t touch each other to prevent sticking and/or tearing. I rolled them like I would roll a burrito, which may or may not be how it’s supposed to work. I’m glad I tried this – it was really tasty!

5 Likes

Made half a bag of pinto beans (found in the back of the pantry). Got a couple blow outs (was too lazy to soak or brine today), but otherwise they turned out lovely and will be nice lunches for the rest of the week. Here they are with leftover rice, some shredded spinach and cheese, pico de gallo, and a squeeze of lime.

13 Likes

Capture

6 Likes

Pinto beans and wilted spinach tacos. Beans were flavored with chipotle chiles and garlic.

12 Likes

I was just making up a quick lunch for Sunshine. It consisted of a leftover Mayo-Cheddar chicken thigh from last night’s dinner and my last hard boiled egg (I’ll make more up tomorrow). I don’t know what came first the chicken or the egg, but Sunshine ate the egg first (LOL)!!

10 Likes

Damn, woman.

Those are some seriously plump pinto beans.

Well done, bravo.

2 Likes

Thank you! The bean gods apparently decided to smile upon me when I made the batch yesterday!

2 Likes

If dinners could talk.

5 Likes

They smacked you on the lips and gave you a hickey, more like.

2 Likes