Lunch 2023 (!)

Homegrown salad
Teriyaki grilled chicken thighs

8 Likes

Toasted cheese (mozz, aged chedder, smoked gouda) on bread using mayo and grated parm/romano the outside.

The bread was this loaf I made yesterday that reminded me of Edvard Munch’s The Scream.

17 Likes

:drooling_face:

2 Likes

Hot diggity that grilled cheese, tho… :star_struck: :drooling_face: :melting_face:

2 Likes

What were you trying to do there?

1 Like
3 Likes

Last Wednesday I got the notion to see how fast I could make a sourdough-like bread with a deadline of Sunday evening (a daughter was visiting this past weekend and I wanted to send 6 or so slices back with her). I knew it wouldn’t get to real sourdough stage that fast but hoped to get some twang out of it.

So I made a pre-ferment Wednesday evening and fed it twice a day between Thursday and Saturday and once again Sunday morning. On Sunday when I made the bread it did have some sour to it. I was using a recipe that called for an 8-12 hour preferment along with 5 grams of yeast (as doubled).

I hadn’t considered that with such an active and heavily fed sponge, I should have backed off on the yeast when making the dough. Doh!

It was spilling out of the bowl in half the allotted proofing times and did the same thing in the loaf pan.

4 Likes

What an adventure! I’m glad it worked out.

2 Likes

1.PNG

11 Likes

Be still my heart (attack)! How does one eat that? One layer at a time? Like you say, “asking for a friend”.

1 Like

However you, er, your friend wants. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bucatini all’Amatriciana

Martini (it was a late lunch)

9 Likes

My kinda lunch!

1 Like

Yesterday’s late lunch at a new offshoot of the Thaipark in the center of the city, and thus closer to us and everyone else and their posse :roll_eyes:

Only 4 booths with limited offerings had us pick the som tam (Thai spicy >ouch< :hot_face: :rofl:) and the moo ping, which had a distinct hint of coconut to it.

@BadaBing

7 Likes

Eggs on toast with chili crunch.

6 Likes

Wow, beautifully intense orange yolked eggs!

2 Likes

Brunch at a street food market near us. Rib-eye skewer with chimichurri from an Argentinian booth, and three beef manti from an Uzbek booth.

9 Likes

Spicy peanut noodles with extra chile oil!

7 Likes

Individual enchilada casserole of potato, refried beans, and cheese

You’d think this was too heavy for August, but we’re experiencing 68F temps with heavy rain today. Sigh.

11 Likes