Lunch 2022

Hellish temperatures half the week then muggy in the second half. I hope it gets back to “normal” soon.

Vietnamese “Wurst”/pork paste on mini sourdough seedy rolls.

In Vietnam you can eat tinned sardines stuffed in baguette as a snack, just like Banh Mi.

Baguette with runny fried eggs: another Vietnamese classic, often eaten as a breakfast dish. You tear the bread and mop up the yolks with it. Maggi sauce and pepper are a prerequisite.

I don’t think this one is Vietnamese. Prawns with avocado and mixed nuts

The spread

Today I was looking for some photos taken in Mexico earlier this year and now I know, no other photos that could make me so emotional.

Early morning in Magdalena Bay. This was the only other whale-watching boat in the area that was visible. The mist was so dense and there was no other around it was a bit spooky. It remained like this for many hours.

The last sunrise at whale camp (which is right on the shore of the bay). My lone tent against the magnificent light.

Price of avocados at a supermarket where most gringos go shopping:

And at supermarket where most locals go to

I had to try this. There’s cactus in these tortillas. It makes the tortillas a bit slimy. I have a massive aversion to slime but somehow I could trick my brain to forget it. No need to buy another pack. The super cheap and good fresh corn tortillas are far more superior.

I eat 2 avocados a day in Mexico. When you eat avocados in Mexico you’ll know what “butter from the forest” means. It’s literally like butter with avocado taste. At home we only have avocados from 2 countries (that I shun). Getting a good (not talking about taste here) avocado here is like watching wildlife, it’s a matter of luck. Not much taste. Haft the time it remains hard as rock, or turns sickly brown and fibrous. Turkish supermarkets sometimes have them from Chile, which is almost as good as Mexican.

And Mexican food… tortillas are (almost) always made to order.

7 Likes

:male_detective: I don’t even use a phone. Sure, I have one, but since the virus the partner and I are almost always 24/7 together so I hardly turn it on.

1 Like

!!!

Nopal tortillas? Holy cow. never thought I’d see the day. How were they. Nopal pretty much tastes like grass.

Grass? I make nopales salad a few times a year, and I find it closer to a fleshy vegetable, like a sour eggplant.

The tortillas were fine.

But the nopales taste different when eaten in another prep (steamed/cooked as a vegetable). Sour, flesh is firm and slimy.

35C/95F today. But hey, in a couple of months we’ll be whinging about the snow or rain.

Fruit spreads, pureed with some nuts:

Long black/blue grapes

Red apricots

Eggs steamed in coffee cups

Cold cut salad

Bread brought back from Mosel Valley

9 Likes

Not particularly photogenic but exactly what I love to eat:
lunch aug 14 22

Lunch mostly from the garden today

Homegrown:
Blistered shishitos with sea salt
Half an enormous Mr. Stripey heirloom tomato with a splash of balsamic
Cold roasted beets

Plus: some PA Dutch-style cole slaw I made.

Apricot tea cake for dessert! I did’t refrigerate it overnight and that was a mistake. But I ate it anyway :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I think that is a better explanation. You’re right. Sour eggplant.

tomato peach salad

Tomato, peach and kalamata olive salad with feta, rice wine vinegar, and Spanish olive oil.

Delish.

10 Likes

8 Likes

Salmon? Chicken? Looks good.

chicken

When your (Korean) gf asks you to make rice at 10am you know what’s for lunch. This time with mumallaengi-muchim (dried and seasoned radish strips) her mom sent her home with after a recent visit.

12 Likes

Herbed chicken salad sandwiches with watercress on whole wheat. A small taster of vanilla and strawberry ice cream, next time I’ll add some berries.

15 Likes

Homemade chicken corn soup! I made an enormous vat yesterday with the best local corn in the world :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Those sandwiches look so good! I love how thin the bread is sliced. As I’ve aged, I can’t eat a bulky sandwich and usually take the top off and eat with a knife and fork. Did you bake it?

My bread baking is on hold due to the heat but I make something very similar . It’s made in a Pullman pan and known as pain de mie. I can cut it thinly but not as accurately as Pepperidge Farm very thin whole wheat bread. My husband was very happy with it for the same reason you cited. Hopefully, you’ll be able to find it in your local supermarket.

1 Like

I’m with you. I can stand so much bread.

The thing that I’d like to know is how they got three halves to one sandwich. Gimme THAT recipe.

Looks delish, though.

1 Like

Three slices of bread works for me…or six if you’re sharing :smile:. King Arthur’s oatmeal honey wheat is an excellent bread for slicing very thinly.