Lunch 2022

Turkey sandwich on baguette with cheddar and bacon.

8 Likes

First bean salad of the season - using up what’s in the pantry.

Cannelini beans, red onion, cilantro, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, and oil.

I used up the last of the arugula as the base, plus the marinated beans, topped with sardines.

5 Likes

Cheesesteak hoagie

8 Likes

HEB in-house roasted turkey breast (Cajun spices), pepper jack cheese, Nathan’s mustard on Dave’s Righteous Rye. HEB’s in-house roasted meats have been getting drier and drier it seems.

Cuppa chilled vegs. Canned tomatoes (fire-roasted as it happened) prepped in the fridge for a few hours, TJ’s Melange a Trois peppers, straight from the freezer, cukes, and a bit of white onion added. My stomach can’t handle raw onion like it used to but next time, more white onion.

Dessert was another slice of the bread with a thin schmear of butter.

8 Likes

Mini peppers filled with a sausage and beef combination that I had used for meatballs. Sautéed in a little evoo then steamed a bit to finish cooking the peppers. Tomatoes and croutons were added to pan towards the end of cooking. Served over salad greens.

11 Likes

That looks great!

Thanks! Got a request to repeat, I’m thinking a shrimp/pork filling as in
shumai would be also be good.

2 Likes

I grew up eating “Cheese, Bread and Egg” (imaginative name, huh?) from an early , maybe 1945 edition of the Joy of Cooking. Not sure if it is in later versions but a similar recipe for sure.

Sounds pretty darn close!

1 Like

French toast with maple syrup and scrambled eggs

11 Likes

Chilled vegetable soup, starting with tomato sauce, thinned down. Corn and Tj’s pepper melange and Tri-color rotini; couldn’t find the green beans I wanted to add and forgot onion and cuke.

Chicken thigh steam baked in the Cuisinart CSO; broccoli florets and another helping of corn, a cook’s favorite.

5 Likes

I make this red curry stir-fry quite often and it’s always awesome. I’ve made it with shrimp, pork, and chicken and also just all green beans. Today I used pork loin and it was as usual a crowd pleaser. I tend to stir-fry the green beans first until tender then add in the curry paste and everything else. This time I halved the curry paste because my mother can’t handle that much heat. I also typically increase the green beans.

I also made a pork and cabbage stir fry with oyster sauce because we unexpectedly had someone stay for lunch and I was afraid the spice might not be ok for him since people here don’t eat much spicy food. So I split the pork in half and marinated the half for this one I’m typical fashion for Chinese stir fries.

8 Likes

7 Likes

It’s called “sausage salad” in German but it contains no “sausage” (bangers/Bratwurst). The “sausage” is just cold cut type(s) of meat. This is a typical brewery/pub light dish you eat with pretzel and wash down with beer.

Quark with snipped chives and basil for new potatoes and asparagus. It’s a typical German dip for new potatoes in spring.

I stirred some cream into full fat yoghurt then mixed sliced smoked Matjes in it. Also a typical German herring dish, one of many versions depending on where in Germany you are.

And a meal without cheese is not a complete meal.

12 Likes

Man, you lunch like a queen.

1 Like

:crown: :grin:

“Make up for it tomorrow”. (“Tomorrow” as in during the week, when I eat nothing like this.)

4 Likes

I’ve been eating my first meal very late these days… not sure if this breakfast, lunch, or the first course of dinner :joy:

I decided an egg was the fastest food to mouth, but I’ve eaten so many scrambled eggs and omelettes my brain went with… boiled. Which is the slowest egg possible :woman_facepalming:t2:

Anyway. While I waited, I thought arugula would make it a larger meal, so I dressed some arugula with olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and parmesan. Topped with the egg, and it really was worth the few extra minutes.

13 Likes

Have you tried Kenji’s method of steaming eggs?
https://www.seriouseats.com/steamed-hard-boiled-eggs-recipe

1 Like

Eggcelent!
That is the kind of lunch I should be eating…

Yesterday we had Chicken Francese and a mixed green salad. A quick dip in well seasoned flour and then egg, then shallow fried for a few minutes on each side. A few pieces left over will be easily repurposed into a composed salad. A slice of strawberry tart was dessert.

12 Likes