Lunch 2022

Those look superfly!

I made Pooda (somewhere between crepes and pancakes) for lunch – soaked green moong and a bit of red lentils / masoor, ground with ginger and Serrano. Zhoug in lieu of green chutney alongside.

14 Likes

My favorite picadillo to go with some white rice. Carb on carb action!

13 Likes

Thanks. Now I wanna make it again soon.

1 Like

Deruny….Ukrainian potato pancakes, potatoes and onions are finely grated, eggs, sour cream and a little flour are added. These are almost identical to Jacque Pepin’s criques although he adds a little baking powder . I pulse chopped the potatoes and onions in the FP, along with eggs, potato starch and a tablespoon of sour cream. The sour cream aids in keeping
the potatoes from browning. This comes together in about 30/45 seconds. Although not traditionally served with applesauce in the Ukraine, I diced and microwaved three apples that were in need of using up, and of course, the applesauce was pleasing with the pancakes. We had a sliver of berry tart and espresso for dessert….not that we needed anything else!

17 Likes

I made buttermilk pancakes for lunch. This time, split the eggs up, whipped the whites to stiff peaks and folded them in right before they hit the pan for a bit more rise and fluffiness.

12 Likes

A tale of two lunches…

Not enough moong bean batter, so just one Pooda today (I added red onion and cilantro).

So then I had an arugula salad with quick-marinated onions and leftover steak. Yum.

10 Likes

Skipped breakfast today in lieu of scooting over to our favorite focaccia place a few hoods over. Shared the funghi and the chanterelle focaccie, bc sadly the zuke & anchovy wasn’t out at the time of our ordering. Feh! Must return. Very likely will :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

That’s also how Austrian (torn) pancakes are make.

Looks good. Your next challenge will be Japanese pancakes? They are suuuuuper fluffy and small.

1 Like

Give them a ring before leaving the house? Ask if your favourites are being made.

I like Sicilian style. With red sauce and salted anchovies mixed in.

If I knew their name I would :wink:

A Berlin summer tradition: charcoal-grilled whole fish (usually mackerel, sometimes trout, sometimes dorade) from a Bavarian stand that sets up shop at 3 different markets a week. Friday’s market is closest to our pad, so lunch was set :slight_smile:

10 Likes

So köstlich! (delectable!) No need to wait till Oktoberfest for Steckerlfisch.

I have to bbq it on the Weber myself. Market fishmongers always have mackerel both deep-fried and smoked. I buy them all the time. Might as well, whilst they are still affordable. Food (and everything else) is getting bloody expensive.

Yeah, we have a Weber gas grill at home, but it’s nothing like charcoal, of course. I love smoked fish, and mackerel in particular. As for prices going up… in my whole life I’ve rarely witnessed things getting cheaper over time :wink:

1 Like

Mackerel, herring, achovies etct are all so “umani”.

My gormless government recently announced everyone would be poorer this year. Prices of foods and other things will be 20-50% higher.

Yah, well. At least I wasn’t bombed out of my life & house. Perspective. Always a good thing.

6 Likes

Hotdog and chips.

11 Likes

Toasted fideos, duck, olives, capers with peppers and tomatoes. Poultry broth for the cooking liquid, a quick to put together lunch. Aioli with fresh herbs on the side. And because it’s Friday, a small piece of cake!

14 Likes

Gorgeous fideos!

1 Like

Ty, Shellybean, one of our fave’s.