Lunch 2022

That bread needs to cool a minimum of 3 hours and five is better. I cut that particular one at about 3 hours and it really could have used a little more time. I use a scalloped edge Wusthof bread knife, the blade is 10 1/4”.
I’m the only one permitted to slice the bread😂. I think the correct knife is important. It’s a 500g. flour loaf, so a large loaf.

1 Like

I have that type of knife. Perhaps I just need more practice. I typically cut the bread in half, put it on it’s flat side, and then use a much newer and sharper serrated knife to cut slices. But it’s hard to get them sandwich thin…

1 Like

I’m actually cutting across the whole width of the loaf. I try to angle the point of the knife into the crust edge at the base of the loaf to start the cut. I find a scallop edged serrated knife gives a cleaner cut than a plain serrated knife…and in this case, bigger is better. I prefer having only one cut edge to minimize drying but it’s certainly more difficult to cut!

1 Like

Chicken curry galette…from the rotisserie chicken that just keeps on giving. In addition to a healthy dose of curry, coriander and harissa, there was hot sausage, onions, garlic, tomatoes and peppers. Greens from our “garden”, inhaled by DH.

14 Likes

NY strip, baked potato, lemon herb steamed shrimp and a bit of leftover broccoli

13 Likes

It’s not as pretty with dark, somewhat past its prime globe eggplant, but this stir-fried eggplant with bacon, chili bean paste, and oyster sauce was delicious!

15 Likes

Green eggz n ham. Well, sorta :wink:

14 Likes

Also aubergines here, Shellybean.

One of my favourite vegetables. These are small and Turkish.

And one of my favourite pasta dishes. (Graviera, Cretan cheese is hard)

German Pinot Noir

Meal #2:

Already wolfed down 3 kilos of asparagus in the first 10 days of the season!

Asparagus “essence” in cup

13 Likes

Your normal bacon/Speck to egg ratio, Frau L.? :smiley: :bacon: :bacon: :bacon:

1 Like

That pasta! And that asparagus looks amazeballz! Can’t wait to get my hands on some of the white gold - just 5 days from now woot woot :slight_smile:

As for the bacon:egg ratio – 2 eggs : 3 slices of bacon is kinda perfect in my book.

1 Like

Spargel is everywhere now. Still €16/kilo directly from my local farms, but then theirs is the absolute best, supreme quality.

Weather is OK, has been chilly (evening and early morning) due to polar winds. I hope it remains beautiful the whole time you are in Berlin (and wherever in Europe you will be visiting).

Berlin, Paris, Rhineland, maybe Valencia, maybe Portugal, maybe Greece. Time will tell :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You have to pick one from this list? Duuuuuude, such a hard life!

If it were me I would pick one place/country which I either haven’t been back the longest, or have not been to.

Would be a tough one as they are all great destinations. Here’s making it harder for you to decide…

Sweetbreads and fresh morels in cream (unless you don’t like offal, there’s loads of other fatty dishes to choose from).

Cheeses… one of my top criteria!

Rhineland… Proper Blutwurst!

Proper Kölsch!

The best Riesling!

Best sardines and fish in Portugal! (Not to mention easier on the wallet than other places on your list)

(Fortified) wines par excellence!

Tear-inducing tomatoes!

Jabugo is synonymous with Jamón Ibérico de Bellota (and other Ibérico products)!

Now, Greece is a hard one… I love this country and its gastronomy so damn much!

Olive oil drenched salad every day and tender lamb chops!

A perfect day is any day in Greece!

8 Likes

10 Likes

Damn. You sure don’t make the choice easy! I love offal, sweetbreads in particular :heart_eyes:

Berlin’s our home base for the summer, Paris is a trip later this month via the Rhineland to check in on my mother.

I have a good HS friend in Valencia whom I’d love to see for longer than just one afternoon, as we did when we met up in 2016 in Barcelona. I’ve not been to Greece in aeons, but I’ve not ever been to Portugal. In the end, it will come down to two factors: time & moolah.

No doubt we’ll be eating & drinking well, wherever we end up :wink:

2 Likes

Spaghetti with Rao’s marinara and Beyond meatless balls, and broccolini

10 Likes

A couple sandwiches - egg salad and pimiento cheese, and broccolini.

10 Likes

next time, can you save the crust for me?

sure :joy:

10 Likes