Lunch 2022

sure :joy:

10 Likes

Fiorentini shaped pasta with a sauce of mushrooms, hot sausage, a cup or so of puréed tomatoes and a good pinch of hot pepper flakes…enough to make an impression! Salad greens from the terrace pots, so wonderful at this time of the year. The cool, misty weather is at least good for the lettuce crop.

13 Likes

A red cabbage to use up, so I made an old favorite and it was even better than I remembered.

It’s not one pot for me since I have to make my own egg noodles and they need to be cooked separately for a little bit before incorporating into the recipe. I use the King Arthur recipe which has milk and baking powder to make egg noodles more like the Pennsylvania Dutch type rather than regular pasta.
Still, it’s really easy and so tasty!
I normally use thighs for ground chicken recipes, but I like breast here because the flavor is lighter and cleaner.

10 Likes

Open face tuna melts and some tomato soup

11 Likes

I meant to put this here, but somehow couldn’t find it!

2 Likes

Quail for lunch yesterday, buttermilk brined then dried in the fridge for a few hours prior to cooking. Seasoned with paprika, cayenne, s/p, the cavities were stuffed with preserved kumquats which really flavored the flesh of the bird. This is “fast food” at its finest…cook time is ten minutes-ish in a very hot oven. Pearl couscous with assorted veggies was the accompaniment.

12 Likes

@Nannybakes - Wowza! I get so many ideas from your contributions. Thanks.

Aldi flax wrap, toasted until crisp in oil (decided I like them better as crackers), the last of the sucuk and halloumi from the Turkish store, sauted spinach with EB seasoning, some Tamek red pepper paste, also from Acacia Mart. There was due to be labneh on the plate also but it was turning green so I substitued some leftover potatoes, leeks and green onions from the night before with some gravy.

Tuna ramen/soup - I came across a suggestion of Skipjack as an ingredient in ramen; didn’t have any on hand so used canned yellowfin, Halo organic noodles and some stir-fry vegetables from the freezer. Will pick up some skipjack at Aldi. Seafood soup base.

Tamarind soup base with shrimp.

Rotisserie seasoned pulled pork from a supermarket deli (not smoked); I wanted a Memphis style pulled pork sandwich but forgot to buy makings for slaw. Still, there is mayonnaise (and Carolina style bbq sauce) on Dave’s White Bread Done Right. I wanted to use his hamburger buns but they didn’t have them.

7 Likes

Thank you very much! And your food looks delectable as well!

2 Likes

An easy lunch today

NZ Riesling. Too alcoholic and harsh. No elegance and finesse a German Riesling is known for.

Pretzel (and sourdough not shown) for savoury bits. Pastries for afters with tea.

Riesling is not popular around here. I had to order online and this is all I could find. Have acquired 2 more after this photo was taken.

8 Likes

Flatbread with quark, fresh garlic and asparagus. Some asparagus ribbons (briefly soaked in beetroot water) on top. (Red sauce one contains no asparagus.)

“Caviar lentils” in cream. Fried Speck and lamb’s liver alongside. And more asparagus. 4,5 kilos thus far.

More Riesling. I’ve had this Greek Riesling a bunch of times. Very acceptable (but then I’m desperate). Much better than the NZ above.

I’ve tried Riesling from different places and countries. From Mosel is best for me.

8 Likes

Trying to eat less meat. One of the ways I do this is designate Mondays as No-Meat Mondays, if possible. Sometimes, I have a function on Mondays and they serve mostly meat and rice so it’s almost impossible to not eat meat. (The rice is cooked with meat a lot of the times.)

Today, I was home and made a Caprese Salad plate. Fresh Mozzarella with Roma tomatoes. I drizzled with some epic balsamic and EVOO. Salt and pepper and a chiffonnade of sweet basil finished off the dish.

Perfect for a100 degree day!

12 Likes

NZ Sauvignon Blancs ruined the entire grape for me. There’s some nice US Rieslings, but none compare to German.

1 Like

Chicken kofta kebabs, saffron rice, cucumber and celery salad with dried fruit and almonds. And some grilled zucchini with zaatar.

14 Likes

Patty melt with Impossible burger, tomato soup, and a bag of Funyuns

14 Likes

Mixed seafood platter :innocent:

Sultan Moroccan sardines in olive oil with chilies - spicy. Cucumber spears. Riga Gold smoked sprats from Latvia.

More cucumber spears, grilled calabacita with fresh ground cumin, brined artichoke quarters

11 Likes

Curry udon and gyoza from the freezer

11 Likes

Your kababs look great!

1 Like

Lunch today was a Scallop Aquachile from AMA. This recipe is everything. Spicy, sweet, juicy, herbaceous. All of that. It is SO good. I make it over and over again. For apps, for lunch, for a light dinner.

14 Likes

Looks so good and refreshing, too! Yum!

1 Like