Lunch 2021

I also find yellow tomatoes milder, but then I love almost all tomatoes. Pretty sure your own tomatoes have more intense flavour than shop-bought. Do a side-by-side tasting of all your tomatoes once, just for fun.

1 Like

Yellow tomatoes are touted as less acidic. We grew some yellow pear-shaped cherry tomatoes this year and we also have Old Germans which are starting to ripen. Our favorite tomatoey tomato is a Cherokee Purple. Not pretty to look at - sort of a bruised color, but it has the most delicious flavor. Our tomato crop has been hard to keep up with this year.

2 Likes

None on hand :man_shrugging: I like black pudding but it’s not super common around here.

2 Likes

Black pudding makes my tongue tingle for some reason. It is my least favorite of a full English Breakfast. Haggis does that, as well…

Interesting! Maybe the iron in the blood?

1 Like

Tried to be virtuous at lunch today with a salad, in anticipation of a meaty dinner.

Riff on panzanella, but just a little bread and lots of vegetables. Shaved fennel that survived freezing in my vegetable drawer, yellow grape tomatoes from the farmers market, shallot, and a red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing. I added a bit of fresh mozzarella just because, but it was unnecessary.

Bread component was a slice of homemade part-WW bread cut into croutons and toasted, which let it absorb the juices nicely.

6 Likes

^^ Mozzarella is always welcome in my salads.

Squid rings from the market fishmonger (I don’t deep-fry at home).

Crab claws are getting more expensive, just like most things nowadays.

Nice days are rare, even in the summer. It’s been so wet and miserable all summer. Mushrooms shot up everywhere. They think it’s already autumn.

Probably in the same family but this one has no white dots, at all.

A simple fungus can look interesting and beautiful. Beauty is everywhere, it’s up to one’s brain to render it.

It’s so small I almost didn’t see it. Doesn’t look like much here, until an observant person notices it.

A lone mushroom on a carpet of moss. Back light and perspective make the photo.

One of the rare dry summer days, and even when it’s sunny it’s not just barely warm. There are 3 trail markers near the entrance with a painted face on each. The other 2 markers are in the open and exposed to the elements, this face is still clearly visible.

Some walking paths are tiny, like this one, only wide enough to fit the width of your shoes.

The partner thought I picked up a turd!

First time seeing a cone with its scales tightly packed and they also curl inwards. The white bits are sap which has fallen from a tree.

11 Likes

Awesome photographs … And wow on those Mushrooms … Are they edible or toxic ?

The calamari look wonderful.

Thanks!

All the mushrooms in the photos are poisonous. We don’t really have edible fungi in the wild around here. Puffballs are edible but everything else is poisonous.

3 Likes

“Wow” was exactly all I could say!

2 Likes

They look poisonous !!

Thanks for the feedback and have a nice summer.

A few lunches from the last week or so

Breakfast for lunch again! I found some black pudding from a local butcher. They called it boudin noir but tomato tomato potato potato right.

Bulgogi sandwich using store bought marinade (Bibigo) with onions, mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, and mayo.

Sandwich on roll with mayo, mustard, provolone, lettuce, tomato, bacon, and turkey.

8 Likes

Avocado tomato toast, because I couldn’t decide between the two.

11 Likes

You found it!

Black pudding is readily available where I live but it only comes in a big sausage form, and sold in thick slices.

Like this: (name of this dish is “Himmel & Erde”. Potato mash, apple sauce, and black pudding. Topped with crispy fried onions.)

I haven’t tried this combo. I’m sure it’s good.

It’s better to combine tomatoes with some kind of fat to boost lycopene absorption. Avos contain naturally good fats.

4 Likes

Morcilla de Burgos is the Spanish translation though I had seen it in Wash D.C. when we had travelled to a Convention - Trade Fair there back approx 5 years ago.

I believe the key difference is that in Spain, the Morcilla has hog´s blood and in The Usa - it does not.

Looks tasty …

1 Like

I liked Iberico Morcilla I ate in Alajar. Charcuterie in Alajar and Sierra de Aracena area is nothing short of amazing.

El Sabor de la Sierra

4 Likes

Have not been in a very long time.

Yes, they are known for their charcuterie.

Looks good … Enjoy !!!

There are 2 things missing: The bread and a bottle of Marques de Murrieta or Bodega Muga (reds).

I don’t understand. How could it be Morcilla without the blood?

Here’s one made in US. It’s where I usually order Spanish products .

La Tienda It has beef rather than pig blood!

La Tienda imports Spanish products and they are quite pricey.

To answer you, I once read that the hog´s blood was prohibited in the Morcilla de Burgos which is the main designation of origin in Castilla - León autonomous region. I do not remember where I read it, but I recall the article facts.

I am uncertain if this law has been changed or not.

I have never heard of Beef Morcilla !!! However, due to Halfal dietary laws - I have seen many lamb substitutions for the pork …

We have friends (Verza Salume is name of company) in Italy who produce a wide variety of Charcuterie and they have special lines of Halfal and also Kosher Charcuterie - both without pork obviously and come with a Legal Certificate of the product too … They export alot to Dubai and Israel amongst other export markets for the Muslim and Jewish Communities in Paris, London, Amsterdam and Eastern Europe.

Their salume (salami) with truffles is absolutely a jewel of charcuterie. The salami comes in a log which is placed under a heat lamp to keep it warm (not hot).

3 Likes

@shrinkrap

Here is a photo of the Salume with gold metallic foils and truffles from Verza Salume, Director Federico.

7 Likes