Lunch 2020

Some photos from last week, made with the new Leica. File size is so huge that my 9 year old laptop slows down considerably. The Leica has over 40MP whereas My other cameras have 26MP at most.

The texts (have been removed) on the signs read “mind your speed”, “we cross the road as we please”. A road in the countryside, the wooded area we often go to is on the left and surrounded by farms.

Silent woods

Did you know… just 15 minutes in silent nature does a whole lot of good for your mental well being?

Downy feather caught by a tall weed

A much bigger one. Probably a sparrowhawk’s or falcon’s feather.

A another one on a tree stump

It’s been so hot and for so long, many things including green acorns and green leaves fall on the ground. So many cones, too.

Finally it rained, but nowhere enough to make up for the extent of prolonged dryness we have experienced this summer.

Not a face in sight, let alone a talking one.

8 Likes

Nice looking food, nice looking pictures. Did you make the wrappers for the dumplings? It looks magnificent!

1 Like

Chickpea Salad With Bacon, Cotija, and Roasted Chilies
Needs something fresh when served the day after.

5 Likes

I use “gyoza” wrappers. I draw the line at making my own dumpling wrappers. Too fiddly and time consuming.

Many thanks.

1 Like

Twas ready for its close up. :star_struck:

7 Likes

I use store bought gyoza wrappers as well. Those look nice.

2 Likes

Beautiful shots

1 Like

Thanks, everyone!

That looks delicious! :heart_eyes:

Chicken rendang, white rice, broccolini, cherry tomatoes, and a boiled egg.

10 Likes

Mr Happy is on a (Malaysian-style food) roll.
_ _

Mung bean noodles with deep-fried shallots and chilli oil.

Shrimp shells from half kilo of North Sea shrimp (in the little bowl) went into the broth. These shrimp have an intense taste due to high level of iodine. I used store-bought tom yum paste in the broth. For the second batch I added lots of ripe tomatoes, too.

DIY noodle soup.

Another lunch this week…

Happy days are here again. Turkish figs! Apparently 2 types of figs are most desirable and Turkish is 1 of them.

Oh my Camembert wants to run away

Dipped in Lindt 99%

7 Likes

Mouthwatering as always!

I will be sharing this son and DIL of course, but surely you do not plan to leave me hanging!

Strange perhaps, I think of variety before where they are grown, but that may be a Northern California perspective. I only got a few this year , at least so far.

I read about the figs in a New Zealand food mag last week. I’ll try looking for the mag again in my archive, if I didn’t already delete it. It’s probably the “brown Turkey” cultivar (Ficus carica) that’s mentioned in the article.

Not the piece from the food mag but this one mentions the fig in question:

I got another tray today. The variety is “Bursa Siyahi” (black Bursa). Bursa is the province/area that produces figs for much of Turkey and the world.

Some insights here:

http://alaraagri.com/a-guide-to-bursa-black-figs/

Don’t forget to check out the photos of farmers and processing plants. Thanks for the lovely figs, Turkey!

2 Likes

A bowl of arroz congri - Cuban style black beans and rice.

8 Likes

From a 2 lb sack of masa batches of corn tortillas over 2ish days.

Then lunch today from leftovers. Egg, dill, scallion, Boursin cheese spread, salsa verde.

Def a redo.

9 Likes

We had guests who brought this a few weeks ago - so delicious! Would you have a recipe to share?

I kind of winged it from several recipes found online - its pretty simple. Fried up a couple of slices of bacon that had been cut up into little strips, added diced onion (1/4 of a white onion), one cored deseeded and diced poblano pepper (should have added a chopped clove of garlic here too) about a tsp each of ground cumin and Mexican oregano, and sautéed until softened. Then added about 1.5 cups of black beans that had been defrosted from the freezer with their juice and about the same amount of cooked white long grain rice. Mixed it all together and seasoned with salt and pepper, and then served with fresh cilantro leaves on top.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Penang Hokkien mee again.

10 Likes

I typically post on the WFD threads, and not the lunch, because I don’t like to spend much time on 2 meals in a day. But today’s dinner was already taken care of. So…
savory clafouti i.e. crustless quiche? It has sauteed onions and kohlrabi, ham, and parmesan.

12 Likes