Lunch 2020

3 cheese-scallion scones. I’m gonna use them as slider buns once they cool down.

8 Likes

Eggs cooked in cream and home-made ricotta.

Home-cured salmon

I prefer B&W photos but the photos in this series are better in colour.

Windmill near my house and wild flowers in the foreground. Not even 30 years ago 80% of my municipality was farmlands and open fields. Now only 20%! There used to be open fields behind my house. The previous owners said there were cows grazing in the fields. Not anymore. The entrepreneurial government has been busy clearing so much land and building record numbers of new houses and flats. That one of the ways local governments in this country make lots of money and fast.

If viewing on a phone you see this

Wild flowers in foreground, grown for the bees and butterflies. (3 photos in 1)

Wheat

Thanks, farmers!

6 Likes

Do you follow a recipe? The ricotta looks lovely. [And the pics are a delight.]

Like your sun dried tomatoes.

Do you drizzle some Italian Evoo on them to keep them a little moist while drying them in Oven ? And do you store them in a glass jar in Evoo from Italy ?

I halved the baby tomatoes that were starting to over ripen on a tin foil lined sheet and dehydrated them in a 300F oven until dry. All I added was salt. Then, once room temp stored the batch in a glass jar. I add olive oil as I use them.

I refer to these 2 sites for instructions. And I use a sous vide circulator to make the cheese. If you don’t have one you’ll need a candy thermo. The most important thing is to keep the temp constant.

http://blog.cheesemaking.com/use-sous-vide-making-cheese/

Super easy to make (using a sous vide tool). You can experiment with different types of milk and herbs or flavours. I personally like using organic full fat goat’s milk, and the other one is Jersey cow’s milk. The latter makes the creamiest ricotta as Jersey cow’s milk is high in fat and so flavourful (I also drink this milk, btw). You can also add half cream to the milk, or use buttermilk. Buttermilk will result in a firmer ricotta and does not need any acidity to form the curd, whereas other types of milk do.

I make it almost every week I have stopped photographing it.

You can also eat ricotta with pasta, or drizzle with honey on bread. Btw, you’ll going to need a basket to drain the cheese. Mine is a real ricotta basket but you can use something similar you already have in the kitchen.

I just eat it with chickpeas and spinach here

Here it is again, with honey.

And last week. You get the idea :yum:

7 Likes

Oysters every week. Yellow saucy thing is pineapple-scotch bonnet salsa. Got the idea from a salsa I ate in Mexico made with pineapple and habanero peppers. This is it.

The beer

Second part of the “nature in colour” series. Photos are taken using this 7 year old camera. A retro beauty that can do macro in a pinch.

Not a berry and it’s tiny. I have this weed in the garden every year.

Low lying oak leaves are all infected like this:

The wild blackberries are coming

All alone in the world, just like Remi. (A children’s book I read many times as a child. Could not stop crying every time I read it.)

4 Likes

My little tapas

Sardines in the tin and Sicilian pecorino

I spend way too much money on photographic equipments. But the new lens is worth every cent. I hope this expensive glass is my absolute “last” Fuji lens. (Have one by another brand on order but it’s not Fuji.)

Test photos with this lens taken late afternoon yesterday.

Alliums in y garden are about to open

My “Sundowner”

Aberlour Casg Annamh/“rare cask” in Gaelic.

And speaking of photographic equipments… this is my gift to someone in Mexico. All my dreams have come true. These gears make someone very happy. The experiences that have enriched my life are priceless.

8 Likes

Just beautiful!

1 Like

Grilled curried chicken with ginger basmati rice and fenugreek sprouts.

9 Likes

Luscious plate!

Thks @RedJim. My yellow fingers maybe a telltale sign that I enjoyed the flavors for a few days.

Substantial lunch. Micro greens are always nice. I like it sharp (daikon, mustard etc).

No lunch pics today. We went biking to the woods, parked the bikes and walked for 2 hours straight. Left home at 11am, took half an hour to reach this particular woods. Did our walk, biked home. 3pm when we got home. So we actually walked more than 2 hours. No wonder I’m beat now.

New moon seen from my attic just now.

PS: thanks for your comment above.

5 Likes

That’s a remarkable photo! I’ve come round to enjoying the micro greens with a bite more now that I’ve had a few dozen choices. I work them in to my meals often.

1 Like

Every time I see something like this, I am a little sad that I married a man who doesn’t like cheese.

That’s a sacrifice! Do half cheese; half meat?

Do you mean putting bacon or bits of ham in the biscuit? And I exaggerate slightly. He has come a long way these years, and will eat some cheeses. But he tends to not like them hot i.e. in a bread or in a dish, other than of course pizza that breaker of all rules.

Yes, the small amt of add ins in very flexible. I’ve even made them just with scallion.

I’ve been craving biscuits this last day and I think it’s your fault :slight_smile:

Lol! That happens to me every time I log in!

1 Like