Low Carb Pancake Mix Recipe?

I would like to make a dry low carb pancake mix using Almond Flour , Dry Buttermilk Powder, Leavening, Artificial Sweetener, etc. Something that I can store in the pantry and just add milk and eggs when I’m ready to make the batter. Any ideas? Thanks!

Use a combination of blanched almond flour and tapioca flour.

Almond flour makes the base of the pancake – and makes it taste like a pancake. The tapioca gives it lightness and makes it fluffy.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks! Do you think I should add baking powder and a sweetener to this mix? How about buttermilk powder? Then I’d just have to add eggs and liquid.

Yes to baking powder.

Sweetner? Are you trying to be low-cal? I suppose you could use a sugar substitute like Stevia or erythritol, but if you’re going to go that route I would just omit it entirely and rely on a low cal syrup or other low cal toppings (like fruit or non-fat yogurt) to bring sweetness, or just sprinkle sugar substitute on the pancakes themselves before eating.

The reason to add real sugar to a pancake mix, in my opinion, is allow the edges of the pancakes to crisp up as the sugar will caramelize, and not so much for taste.

Tapioca flour is not low carb. In fact, it is nearly 100% carbohydrate. Unless you are adding a minimal amount, like a tablespoon to 4+ servings of something, I would not recommend it for use on a low-carb diet.

Almond flour, coconut flour and flaxseed meal are common ingredients in low-carb pancake mixes. I find that using a blend tends to produce better results than any of these flours on their own. Adding a little bit of vital wheat gluten can help you achieve a more traditional texture. Unflavored protein powder is also a nice addition. All of these alternative flours can be a bit heavy, so I recommend whipping your egg whites to lighten the mixture somewhat, in addition to using a small amount of a leavener like baking powder. Ricotta as part of your wet ingredients can also give you a lighter texture.

The problem with storing a mix like this in the pantry is that all of these alternative flours also tend to go rancid relatively quickly, due to their fat content. For storage beyond a month or so, I would suggest freezing.

Yes, agreed, but if you’re using non-carb flours like almond, etc., the resulting pancake lacks body, which is where a bit of tapioca flour comes in. I suppose you could just rely on baking powder alone, but that also has carbs.

Is tapioca flour carbs? Yes, of course, but a bit does not make it as carb heavy as a typical pancake mix and will still get the OP to “low carb” (as opposed to no carb, which I am not sure it’s even possible), while still producing a nice fluffy light-ish pancake.

I was talking to someone recently who uses King Arthur’s baking sugar alternative for things that are baked. It contains so many ingredients, stevia, monk fruit and erythritol for a few. I haven’t tried it, she swears it is almost like regular granulated sugar in baking. Any users out there?