I miss London so much! No international travels for me this year ever since the COVID lockdown started in Malaysia and Singapore last March, and no annual summer (gastro) vacation for me in London for the first time in more than 30 years.
Anyhow, I’m looking back at my last London visit in 2019 and reminiscing about some of the meals I’d had then:
- Minkie’s Deli, Kensal Rise [London] Breakfast at Minkie's Deli, Kensal Rise
- Parlour Green, Kensal Green [London] Sunday brunch at Parlour, Kensal Rise
- Granger & Co, Notting Hill [London] Breakfast at Granger & Co, Notting Hill
- Iran, Edgware Road [London] Dinner at the Iran Restaurant, Edgware Road
- Diwan Damas, Edgware Road [London] Syrian ice-cream and sweets at Diwan Damas, Edgware Road
- Mon Plaisir, Covent Garden [London] Lunch at Mon Plaisir, Covent Garden
- Coach & Horses, Greenwich [London] Breakfast at Coach & Horses, Greenwich
- Malaysia Hall Canteen, Bayswater [London] Best Malay food at Malaysia Hall Canteen, Bayswater
- Normah’s Cafe, Queensway [London] Ethnic Malay cuisine from Normah's Cafe, Queensway Market
- London-Chinatown crawl in search of the best “char siu buns” [London] "Char siu" (Chinese BBQ pork) buns in Chinatown
Wished I could be back in London again some time in the near future (I don’t see it happening in 2021 as well).
Anyhoo, just sharing a couple of the meals from that last trip which I’d not bothered to post back then:
- Lunch at The Greenwich Tavern, 1 King William Walk, Greenwich, London, SE10 9JH
We decided to travel down to Greenwich to spend half a day there. Great place, if one is into history.
Greenwich, whilst it’s a major tourist destination in London, is not exactly known for its culinary offerings. So, we decided to opt for a simple pub lunch at the Greenwich Tavern.
Haddock with chips & peas
Sausages and mash
Deep-fried Brie with cranberry jelly
We rather enjoyed everything that we had there.
The Mad Bishop & Bear, Paddington, 1st Floor, Paddington Station, London W2 1HB, United Kingdom.
Caught this on my way to Heathrow airport - a quick lunch of Fuller’s London Pride steak & mushroom short-crust pie, served with mash, greens & red wine gravy.
Currently, am sitting here wondering how Londoners are doing amidst the current COVID lockdown. Where I am in George Town, Penang, the situation’s not too bad - for a city of 1.7 million, the health authorities reported only 14 new cases today, down from 15 cases reported yesterday. Let’s hope they lift the lockdown by early Dec, so we can all look forward to Christmas.