London, Amsterdam, Bruges, Brussels, Paris in September

Thank you!

In Amsterdam, the Hotel Pulitzer is so close to the Nine Streets (Negen Straatjes) a neighborhood of small shops and little cafes. So charming. Too long ago for me to offer specific recommendations but finding suitable food shouldnā€™t be a problem.

3 Likes

For Paris Iā€™d make a separate thread on the Paris board, some excellent locals there giving great advice.

I live in the Netherlands, and visit Amsterdam often. If you have any special requests let me know pls.

2 Likes

Might also try a couple British burger chains, such as Wimpy, GBK or Byron.

This was my last trip report from London. Time is flying. Sadly, Bonnie Gull closed its 2 locations. [London , Covent Garden, Soho and Bloomsbury] Rules, Ivy Soho Brasserie, Zima, Bonnie Gull Seafood Shack, GAIL's Kitchen

1 Like

Iā€™m curious, does UK, Paris, Europe have the COVID induced nightmare staffing issues the U.S. & CA have?

What a cool sounding trip! Weā€™re all jealous & looking forward to the trip report next month!

2 Likes

Realize your kids are older, but some good tips! :smile:

Iā€™m excited for your trip. :slight_smile:

Are there any specific foods you and your DH want to seek out, in addition to finding places that work for everyone else?

1 Like

For London, Balthazar in Covent Garden should suit everyone. They have burgers and roast chicken but also more interesring stuff. I was there on Friday and the veal chop was pretty good( if under seasoned). A little pricey but a nice space, better for a group rather than a couple as youā€™ll probably get a booth.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Great ideas.

Thatā€™s some great intel! Thanks.

1 Like

Perfect !

I donā€™t think so. TBH, we were never excited about visiting the UK until we learned that all of the ā€œcoloniesā€ where establishing their own food cultures there, at least in London.
Both of us seem excited about Borough Market, and weā€™re doing a private tour there.

Iā€™m intrigued by the idea of an ā€œIndonesian - rijsttafel- restaurantā€, but not sure that would fly with anyone else.

Will do! Thanks.
As mentioned above, Iā€™m intrigued by the idea of an ā€œIndonesian - rijsttafel- restaurantā€, which I understand Amsterdam is known. Any thoughts about trying this with our group?

Might be interesting to try some of the colonial dishes that resulted from the colonies- as well as the cuisines of the Commonwealth- off the top of my mind, kedgeree, mulligatawny and Coronation chicken/ Coronation shrimp. Notting Hill, Brixton, Clapham and other neighborhoods have some good modern Caribbean restaurants if youā€™re interested. I havenā€™t had time to explore it in London. I had been following a place in Brixton on IG.

(This place is cute. https://fishwingsandtings.com/menu/)

Re: Rijsttafel
The plain eater might not love it, but there should be a few plainer dishes. I love Rijsttafel when I find it in Canada. I organized a Rijsttafel with 6 friends for my birthday 4 years ago. One friend was a vegetarian, and she found enough dishes to eat.

Hope @damiano and others can recommend a good place in Amsterdam. The place I went was a tourist trap, and used frozen green beans.

2 Likes

Agreed, the Pulitzer is well positioned. They have their own canal boat, not sure if they use it for tours or as a water taxi. Breda nearby is fantastic, but might not work for you as they serve a set menu. Stork, on the north side of the River Ij (take a free ferry from Centraal Station, then about a 15 minute walk) is a lively seafood restaurant that can accommodate a variety of different diets. The outdoor seating along the riverfront is best.

In Paris one our favorites for steak frites is Relais de Venise, near Porte Maillot. No reservations, and no choice (except beverages and desert).

2 Likes

Yes please!

Your post sparks a lovely memory. Several years ago, enough of us were traveling together to book one of the Pulitizerā€™s antique wooden boats for a private tour. It was a small boat that allowed us to view the picturesque canals at their best. I see thereā€™s the option of a public tour too.

3 Likes

Stayed at the Pulitzer with some pals in the 90s and got some polite notes under the door to refrain from certain things that were causing a smell we thought to be very pleasant. Nice part of town. Low key spot.

Personally I think the FEBO spots are de lekkerste.

I also really like the many broodje (sandwich) spots for some rare roast beef nice cheese fresh bread (nice ones near Pulitzer) and the many good falafel spots all over town Maoz being a nice mini chain with great green sauce and pepper bar.

Have fun.

4 Likes

We are using " All Travel Guru", and while it is not included in our itinerary, it mentions ā€œThere is no better way to see Amsterdam than from the water. And Pulitzer Amsterdam offers two unique vessels to do just that. Pulitzerā€™s saloon boat ā€œTouristā€ from 1909 has all the classic characteristics youā€™d expect; polished teak and brass, traditional carpeting, marble, leather and beveled glass. When the weather allows it, Pulitzerā€™s " Belleā€-a 45 years old classic open tender made from teak, is a charming option for cruising the canals. "

2 Likes

Thank you!

I like the boat tour that starts at central station area too.

Try Bar Gollem for the best Trappist beers and a small cozy atmosphere in central city.

https://cafegollem.nl/

Thereā€™s an amazing liquor store sorta across the street that has all sorts of special beer.

Be sure to hit up a Jenever bar there too essentially hundreds of flavors of herb, garlic, fruit, and other gin flavors served neat. Some pure gasoline. Many spots like that.

3 Likes