Little Szechuan [Little Silver, NJ]

Dave this spot should be taking in major business …as you saw. They have the entire town of little silver, probably most of Rumson, and ocean port. There isn’t really anything else. There is some crappy spot in fair haven or you need to go to red Bank or that ripoff joint in sea bright.

So they have a good thing going for themselves! … My theory on why the portions are small.

1 Like

Have only been here once since my initial review, but they are still the closest thing we will ever get to Ruby Palace. Sichuan Cottage is still the best but I enjoy this place.

3 Likes

A crew of 4 go to the Lil Szech probably 7/8 times a year. Never heard a complaint about small portions. I usually get General Tao’s chicken and it is a nice size for the price.

Ah this place brings back memories. Back in the early 00s I probably went here like once a week for lunch. A great local American Chinese restaurant doing just about everything right.

I haven’t been in 10+ years at this point. Man time flies!

3 Likes

I got take out again on Thursday, so dam good at what they do.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Far East Taste, Eatontown New Jersey

Double sautéed pork and ask for it extra spicy…Great dish if you haven’t had it.

2 Likes

got take out again recently. Just wish they did the quart/pint thing like other spots; sometimes I don’t need the whole big order when I just want a taste. Food and service good as always

1 Like

One of my peeves is when takeout places have some items available in pint and not others. Whyyyy

2 Likes

HALLELUJAH!!! HALLELUJAH!!! I know what I"m having Monday night!!!

4 Likes

Get in line 6 feet behind me!

1 Like

Unless the pandemic has radically changed things I can guarantee you will be picking up dinner earlier than @NotJrvedivici

4 Likes

My first guess was that some things are more difficult to make in smaller quantities. And Googling, I find that someone on Chowhound has said, “normally, dishes with more ingredients will not be offered [as pints], due to the fact it would be impossible to include a balance of all the ingredients into a small container.”

For things that can be reheated, it’s not so bad–these days, getting multiple meals out of something is good. But for things that don’t reheat well, …

1 Like

True to my word!! Everything was fantastic as expected but they have a new and rather convoluted pick up method that didn’t seem to be very efficient. Kind of odd for a restaurant who did a fairly good amount of take out to switch it up like that. Anyway small price to pay for some very good Chinese food! Welcome back!

8 Likes

nice- looking fwd to this one. Plus Patrizias family meal this week looks really good…

what was on the menu? Are those dumplings on the left?

Those are their Szechuan dumplings in a peanut sauce a favorite of my daughters. Ribs, wonton soup, chicken fried rice, chicken moo-shoo and Thai Ching chicken rounded out the menu.

3 Likes

Had no idea they were open but passed by last night and place was mobbed. Curious, what were the wait times for takeout?

1 Like

They told us 25 mins when we ordered but it was closer to 45 mins. We were on time and we easily waited an additional 20-30 mins after our arrival. We were the 2nd people there for pick up, the one woman a head of us was very upset claiming to have been waiting over an hour.

That’s what I just don’t understand, a vast majority of their business was take out before all of this. Outside of the one person in store at a time, why the entire new regimen? They changed “front doors” you no longer pick up at the pick up desk, but instead they come out on the corner, literally the corner door which is in the middle of the dining room? What purpose does that serve?

4 Likes

Good to know. Yeah it looked like a lot of confusion when I passed by. Everyone just hanging out in the street.

This is all a perfect example of why I haven’t been getting pickup from any restaurant until they’ve been open at least 2-3 weeks. I’m not planning on trying the outdoor dining any time soon either. They need to work the kinks out, but I don’t need to be there for it!

4 Likes