Little Szechuan [Little Silver, NJ]

Just put this one up on my blog today:

There is a fine line between nostalgic and dated. Any restaurant that can manage to walk that line and succeed is okay in my book. I’ve written numerous times about restaurants such as Little Szechuan—places that are stuck in the time they were built. When it comes to actual sit-down Chinese restaurants, there are few and far between in this area. I mean actual Chinese, not Asian fusion. The closest to me, and perhaps most well-known, is Middletown’s Crown Palace. But I was there several years ago and the food was bland and decor drab. It was a far cry from what I remembered as a child, and nowhere near what was my favorite of them all: Ruby Palace in Holmdel. So when my friend Patrick said that he knew of a place that was similar to my idea of “old school” Chinese food, I needed to give it a try. We ate there for dinner last month before one of our ghost hunting adventures at the museum.

l2%20(1)

You can read the rest here. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah the ruby palace…those were the days. Remember those eggrolls? They were like a nerf football lol

The little szechuan has some decent americanized Chinese food with good flavor but do you think the portions are small? I think they are.

2 Likes

Nice review/blog post. On Rt 9 North on the Freehold/Manalapan border is King’s, another very solid throw back. Go for the Pu Pu platter, chicken chow mein and shrimp with lobster sauce.

1 Like

Well, I thought my friend’s beef w. broccoli was small, especially since it was, I think, the same price as my orange beef which I could barely finish. So my portion was fine. The slices of beef were quite large.

Have to try that. Haven’t had a Pu Pu platter in ages. Not many of the sit-down places even have it any more. I remember Ruby Palace had the little sterno grill they would give with it. Some of the takeout places do the Pu Pu but its usually a greasy, soggy mess and is not the same as when you get it in a restaurant.

Funny reminds me of my favorite red sauce Italian restaurant Jimmy’s in Asbury Park. Same thing, just stuck in time but still producing EXCELLENT food.

I concur Little Szechuan is an great Chinese restaurant and has been for the 24 years I’ve lived in the area. Kind of ironic last night I ate at Crown Palace in Marlboro, Rt 79, and I was honestly very disappointed. Just as you describe the Middletown location, food was bland and he decor was very dated. Almost a sad feel to the place.

2 Likes

How about house of chong? Has anyone been there recently?

When I was little, Crown Palace was THE place in these parts. I imagine the same moniker for the Marlboro location. I know it has been a few years, but I just remember seeing those awful banquet chairs, the 80’s esque pink neon light that runs along the rim of the ceiling, the tuxedoed waiters who are now senior citizens, and thinking the glory days had not only past but flew right on by.

And the market connected to the Crown Palace on Rt 35 in Middletown was the best place around to get any hanging bbq meat.

The market is still okay. I’ll shop there. Though the overwhelming hit of fish when you walk in is not so pleasant when you know the restaurant is going down the tubes.

We did take out from here over the weekend, I’ve got to tell you I had truly forgotten just how good their food is. You get so caught up in convenience of delivery with Chinese food you tend to over look the quality vs. convenience aspect, as a result you wind up settling for sub-par food. I’m not sure what door-dash or the like will charge for delivering from here, but whatever it is it will be worth it next time I order delivery Chinese, I"m making sure it comes from here or dammit I will go pick it up myself. (So 1980’s)

5 Likes

agree- locally they are the top. Nothing delivery wise comes close.

3 Likes

I get take out here sometimes and it’s always railed with bags awaiting pickup and two people on the phones taking orders. They do a hack of a take out business.

My only minor quibble with the food is that their Buddist Delight has no tofu!

2 Likes

Dave this spot should be taking in major business …as you saw. They have the entire town of little silver, probably most of Rumson, and ocean port. There isn’t really anything else. There is some crappy spot in fair haven or you need to go to red Bank or that ripoff joint in sea bright.

So they have a good thing going for themselves! … My theory on why the portions are small.

1 Like

Have only been here once since my initial review, but they are still the closest thing we will ever get to Ruby Palace. Sichuan Cottage is still the best but I enjoy this place.

3 Likes

A crew of 4 go to the Lil Szech probably 7/8 times a year. Never heard a complaint about small portions. I usually get General Tao’s chicken and it is a nice size for the price.

Ah this place brings back memories. Back in the early 00s I probably went here like once a week for lunch. A great local American Chinese restaurant doing just about everything right.

I haven’t been in 10+ years at this point. Man time flies!

3 Likes

I got take out again on Thursday, so dam good at what they do.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Far East Taste, Eatontown New Jersey

Double sautéed pork and ask for it extra spicy…Great dish if you haven’t had it.

2 Likes