Let's Talk Okra - Love or Hate?

Okra sushi? Do you mean… a piece of fish stuffed inside an okra pod? My mind boggles. I must have this.

Frozen okra fries up well too - just don’t defrost it first.

I was just joking, don’t think it would be good at all! However, I believe okra tempura has a lot of potential…

1 Like

Doesn’t anything breaded and fried have a lot of potential?

1 Like

It’s not common in the typical grocery stores I visit around Boston, but lo and behold I went to my local Chinese market and there was a big sale on fresh okra that looked quite good. Go figure. I don’t recall ever seeing okra there before.

1 Like

Well yeah…including all kinds of dough! :yum:

1 Like

Interesting! I hope you got some to enjoy. Yep, Boston is pretty far north & can’t believe how many posters on this forum live in that area. I visited Boston once in October, queued up and had scrod at Jimmy’s No Name. Couldn’t believe how cold it was for what was still early fall.

1 Like

This showed up in my Louisiana feed. Soaking in buttermilk is a new thing to me, but sounds intriguing.

I just returned from Charlotte and we saw this on a menu when we were out for drinks. We (2 southerners) felt it was a newish thing that’s following the trend of “if one old style is good then 2 or 3 must be better”. Kind of like the trend of putting pimento cheese over top of fried green tomatoes. It’s juist plain silly. There is a lot of taking bits from differing regions, combining it and thinking that it is a tradional food.

1 Like

Okra is one of the “Secret Ingredients” on one of the first episodes of “Bite Club” this season. In OKC.

Don’t judge me.

1 Like