Let's Talk Hollandaise...

Coconut macaroons - here is just one recipes, there endless similar more available

1 Like

We all have our hallmarks. A particular restaurant, someone’s homemade and numerous jars.

Another option, if you have tools available, is using sous vide

1 Like

I have one of those that I also use constantly, though not as fancy. Mine is probably from the dark ages.

I’ve used this recipe for hollandaise many times, it’s pretty simple:

Seems similar to @pilgrim 's method above. I use a stainless steel mixing bowl over boiling water (double boiler) rather than over low heat as I don’t have a gas range. A mesh strainer helps to hold the bowl without burning fingers if using a double boiler.

If you drink alcohol, a whisky sour, pisco sour, amaretto sour, etc. are great ways to use one or two egg whites.

2 Likes

Egg white leftovers, I use up when I candy nuts or make onion rings as part of the dredge.

They freeze well for later use.

2 Likes

Leftover whites are a good reason to make financiers!

1 Like

I would make no claim that it does. But, I’m content with the flavour of what I buy, so have absolutely no need to make my own.

4 Likes

Egg white omelet.

1 Like

For one or two servings of eggs Benedict I’ve made Hollandaise in the microwave.

1 Like

Much thanks everyone! This is what I did this morning…

I chose this method 'cause I had a leftover shallot and an inch of sauvignon blanc from Superbowl Sunday. I used a half stick of butter, one egg yolk, the same 1/2 tsp of lemon juice, and a shake or two of cayenne. Plus, I liked just having one sauce pan to clean.

Did the wine reduction, then toasted the muffins in the toaster oven, added ham and ran another toast cycle. Cooked the eggs and topped the ham with them (leaving them in the warm oven)… and then did the sauce and served 'em up.

Best hollandaise I have ever had! Thanks Helen (and John).

6 Likes

My kind of cooking lesson! One person asks for help and winds up teaching.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Ha ha… thanks. But I didn’t teach, she did.

You guys reinforced the blender technique so last night I searched YT for “Blender Hollandaise” and found her vid. While I sometimes find she is too detail oriented, this seemed to make perfect sense to me. The one pot, and wine/lemon vs: just lemon, and that it finished up “hot”.

1 Like

If I’m keeping track properly…John, Helen, you, us.
Results speak for themselves. The quest was fun.

1 Like

As are most threads on this forum. You guys are great… and this is the best food forum on the net (IMHO).

4 Likes

Egg white fried rice! With crab.

1 Like

I just remembered I use egg white in my “sweet and pungent shrimp” recipe… so guess what I’m having for dinner tonight?

1 Like

Utilized your hollandaise wisdom for dinner tonight. Thanks.

1 Like

Having done it both ways, and being lazy, I use the JC method, but I like it with a bit more lemon. Most of the talk above about technique, but consider how few ingredients! Use the best eggs and butter. Especially the eggs, which make the most difference in taste.