Let's talk crab [NJ]

The 10# box from Costco (Pacific Seafood brand)

Oh ok. I didn’t quite get the lingo at first.

Does anyone know where to get uncooked dungies in nj?

I’m not trying to freak you out but…I thought it was a southern/Texas thing but it looks you’ve got it too.

It’s also in freshwater and you can get it from raw shellfish like oysters and clams I assume. It doesn’t do well in cold water and that’s why many down here, myself included, eat raw oysters only when the water is cold.

Those with weakened immune systems and liver disease are at the greatest risk. We seem to lose a few people in Texas every year.

The water borne versions enter the bloodstream through cuts. Early detection is critical as in any redness, swelling, or pain needs a trip to the ER ASAP and if they’ve never heard of it or can’t treat you pronto go elsewhere.

I first heard of it while wade fishing near Rockport, Tx. when I cut my ankle on an oyster reef. My fishing guide alerted me to the dangers and told me about the ER. Fortunately nothing happened but I won’t go near the water with any cut.

Public service announcement over.

2 Likes

Good haul today. 2 buckets full. The sink is just one bucket full. I’ll snap some pics of crab fest soon. That white bucket got filled up and the orange one was female and smaller crabs that were released.

That’s a bald eagle…cool to see one in nj.

4 Likes

One pot done and racked up. One pot on the burner. One pot left to cook. Triple pot day

20180714_132631

11 Likes

When I was a kid in New Orleans, we used to go crabbing in Lake Pontchartrain by the lakefront airport. My dad made his own nets and we would drop them in a big circle, by the time the last one was dropped you would start picking up. We would fill two hampers pretty quick and head home to boil them.

Corvette Johnny, when i boil crawfish next year in May consider yourself invited, but you are forbidden from calling them crawdads, lol . May have to boil some crabs at some point too.

2 Likes

Crayfish is as bad or worse.

Very true

1 Like

Haha! You’re talking to a nothern boy here. I need to get the lingo down right but I might have to take you up on the offer lol. I like those little guys but I’ve only had them a few times in my life and they were trucked in from LA.

1 Like

I said to my uncle today “could you imagine how many crabs must have been around a hundred years ago” (or more)

I don’t even think I could comprehend how many

Nice Johnny!!! Where did you catch them?

Those are Barnegat bay crabs. There was a lot of wildlife out there. A swan family kept us company …

5 Likes

Well I had to work today but my uncle went. 1 crab lol…yes 1 keeper. It is amazing what that downpour did to shut down the bite.

So has anyone been eating any good soft shells or crab cakes?

Are there any good location to catch crabs without a boat?
We went to Mantalooking bridge a few times and caught nothing.

At this time of year the best place for catching crab without a boat is to wait in @corvette_johnny 's driveway

5 Likes

I finally got smarter and realized it is a lot cheaper to buy fuel, bait, food and beer than to own the boat. What’s that saying, “the two best days in boating are the day you buy your first boat, then the day you sell it” :slight_smile:

Ycf, there is that park near the bridge going over to seaside. I hear that place is good. I haven’t been but from my crabbing intel, that’s a good spot for the public. Remember, they don’t always chew so some days can be good while some are awful. This week is supposed to be filled with thunderstorms until next weekend and I think they call for more on the weekend. If I had to bet, this will be a terrible week for crabbing but if you do go, get out super early…the earlier the better.

If you’re fishing off a bulkhead I’d recommend drop lines with chicken legs and using a 2 or 3 oz weight to keep it from bouncing around the bottom. Make sure your net can reach down to the water too. It sounds trivial, but I’ve seen plenty of people show up for the day to crab and then their net isn’t long enough to even reach the crabs.

2 Likes

I’ve found that a moving tide is best for crabbing just as it is for saltwater fishing.

I’ve never crabbed from a boat, what method do you use?

We crab from shore or wade a bay or estuary with light weights on a string and the Texas crab’s preferred food source, chicken necks.

I had an amazing $24 soft shell crab yesterday.

I am so envious of you East Coasters sometimes.

3 Likes

Well it really depends on what river or bay you are fishing. We fish a few different ways depending on the conditions and where you are

A) for drop lines we use chicken wings and net them as we pull them up slowly in water from about 4 to 12ft

B) we scoop them at night in the channels swimming on the surface with spot lights. You need a motor boat to do this. They come to the surface in certain areas.

C) on the sides on the rivers you fish in 1 to 4 feet of water and net them off the bottom at night. We use high powered million to 3 mill candle power lights. This is often the most productive but incredibly messy. We call it the cabbage patch. They are stuck in lots of seaweed. You just wail on the crab and dump everything in the bottom of the row boat. Steel tow rubber boots knee high are the way to go. You don’t get your toes bit and just dump everything in the bottom of the boat. We sort them out on land and the bottom of the boat can have a good 6 inches of seaweed and well over 60 or 70 crabs. It is a pain to sort it all out. The high rubber boots allow you to get out and move the boat around if you run aground.

D) if you have a small boat or kayak, we pick then off the pilings.

22 yesterday in awful conditions. I think we missed probably a dozen. The whitecaps were really tough to crab in. Between missed netting and crabs dropping off in the waves, it wasn’t easy.