Let's talk crab [NJ]

Perhaps no softies but if you inbox me your address you can find me on your dock fershore!

1 Like

I had soft shells in Annapolis last week. They were on the specials list at multiple places.

1 Like

Are there any good all you can eat crabs in NJ besides random china buffets?

Local 130 Seafood in AP just posted this:

1 Like

They’re here folks. My family sent me this pic a few days ago while I was away. I had to “one up” them and gorge on stone crab down in fl. Do any restaurants in NJ have stone claws that aren’t like 20 bucks a piece? Lol. @VikingKaj

2 Likes

I’ve had stone crab claws at Makkoli Seafood Buffet, East Brunswick. It surprised me the first time at this all-U-can-eat place. It is not always available but the other stuff (not just seafood) is pretty decent.

I believe Peter’s Fishery (BYOB) in Matawan does an all-you-can-eat snow crab legs Sun-Weds 11-8pm for $37.

Pisces Seafood on 37 in Toms River had some beautiful soft shells last week. Grabbed a couple and fried them up for an appetizer - so delicious!

1 Like

OK we need to bump this up.

My haul from yesterday. And if you’re wondering if those Sierra nevadas tasted crabby, they did lol. I think I got around 30 or so…pretty slow but a wonderful day on the water.

4 Likes

I wondered if any of my new “buddies” coaxed off of the Fort Point pier (SF) were any “weiser”? Will never know, they took any newfound knowledge to the sauna with them. yum

1 Like

For a limited time only:

https://www.redlobster.com/specials?gclid=CjwKEAjwtJzLBRC7z43vr63nr3wSJABjJDgJdO-6vjFwgExdM1MX7gcd239XIAbudbvV-be-DssgFBoC8hPw_wcB

And it’s trademarked !

1 Like

Does anyone have any clue what this blue claw “bycatch” is? Lol. It was caught in Bayville and netted as it swam by. @tomt

That’s what happens when you crab in someone’s koi pond.

4 Likes

Lol…it does kind of remind me of a koi. I think it might be a sick red mullet and was losing its coloring.

Whoa. No clue right now, but considering some cobia have been caught in the surf this year I guess anything is possible.

What was the size…4’’ ish?

Also, I commend your kill first and ask questions later approach :raised_hands:

2 Likes

It was 17 inches. I didn’t catch it actually and it was released. My gramps caught it. He is still out there doing his thing. He netted it off his docked boat.

3 Likes

Remind me in a couple weeks for a specific species, I have a friend that works in a natural science type museum and he’ll ask the fish guys. (he’s a bird guy but on vacation right now)

Anyhow, the consensus right now seems to be with big jriev…something carp-y or a wayward koi

1 Like

My vote is further for something in the carp family.

The gold stuff looks like wayward tank fish.

Ironically that is my spirit animal.

3 Likes