Let's start a list.

I have seen some great posts such as Kaleo’s post on micro plastics and various discussions of nonstick that got me to thinking about various ways our cookware (and other) choices contribute to the wellbeing of our planet. Some ideas are entering territory yet to be fully researched and others are well established. So I’ll kick it off with a few of my own. Feel free to provide any explanatory notes, pose questions, and challenge ideas. Also, some of my ideas are not inexpensive, and we need to bear cost in mind.

Towels…cotton is a challenging crop. It consumes disproportionate chemicals and water, not to mention bleaching. I am shifting to linen. Although on a per towel basis it is expensive, they last longer and are purported to have natural antimicrobial properties.

String bags…these are my “go to” shopping bags. I can stuff them in my pocket, and they hold a huge amount. I have stopped bagging produce. I just put it in my card and wash any outer layers that will be eaten.

I have shifted to Pyrex and glass jars for food storage. No more plastic with tomato sauce stains!

Shifted to more earth friendly cleaning products.

Fortunately for me I learned several valuable cookware facts ages ago. First, buy only items you will use forever, even if it means taking years to build your batterie. Second, I bought my first carbon steel pan circa 1972. It has been my nonstick pan ever since. Teflon and other non-sticks, in addition to their chemical issues in manufacturing and degrading, are a money pit. My little carbon steel pan still knocks out fine omelettes. The other thing I learned was the importance, at least to me, of supporting the economies and economic sectors of my choice, namely my country, its neighbors and friends, and artisans. I have always been able to shop goods meeting the first criteria. Of course many goods are not made by artisans or, if they are, not by artisans I can afford (Duparquet, Brooklyn, etc.).

Ok. Correct my errors and add your own.

I see no errors here.

The microplastics study gives me pause about pretty much everything made of polymer that comes in contact with food or drink that can wear or abrade–or came to us in those states. Certainly, after this study, no one should feel 100% safe or responsible scraping or turning foods with plastic utensils (or scraping PTFE-lined pans at all). I’m going to make a concerted effort to go with wood utensils.

Other ideas: shop into wicker baskets. As long as covid rules allow, buy from bulk bins and pour directly into paper, glass or ceramic containers. No more plastic drink containers. Ditch synthetic bristle brooms and spongemops. Locate and use recyclers who are committed to sequestering plastics and their byproducts from the waste streams. Choose versions of products not wrapped in plastic (e.g., buy creamcheese in foil and paper rather than in plastic tubs and pouches). Filter your drinking water. Wear clothing of natural materials.

1 Like

I have been swapping out wood for bamboo for a while. I have a bamboo salad bowl and bamboo spoons. In addition to having a smaller carbon footprint than wood, bamboo doesn’t hold cooking odors and it doesn’t split.

1 Like

Vecchiouomo,

I stopped using charcoal to barbeque quite a while ago.

Ray

1 Like