Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

4 posts were split to a new topic: Ina Garten vs Rachel Ray

Where are you?
NY

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want
people to ask you about and you can’t stop talking about it?
Three come to mind: regional Indonesian cuisines, Japanese snacks and olive oil

What’s a great food experience you have had?
Trying Korean food for the first time. Sesame oil, garlic AND chilies?? Clearly, I was missing out before then.

A little tidbit about you
I have no shame in looking something up - e.g. a menu item - if I have no idea what it is.

Jonathan

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ina Garten vs Rachel Ray

9 posts were split to a new topic: Hakka cuisine

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ina Garten vs Rachel Ray

3 posts were split to a new topic: Indonesian recs

Where are you?
Kensington, CA USA… But no one ever knows where Kensington is, so I usually just tell people I’m from Berkeley. It’s the next block over.

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you can’t stop talking about it?
I like to dabble in fermentation. Currently, I have tempeh, sauerkraut, kimchi, vinegar, sriracha, and other fermented hot sauces tucked away. I also can, and my end of summer ritual is to can a year’s worth of tomatoes, which for me is around 100 pounds. Zero-waste is another passion of mine, although I’m far from reaching that goal, so making staples (ketchup, mayo, tempeh) is another passion of mine. Homemade food means less waste, plus it’s really fun figuring out how to make things!

What’s a great food experience you have had?
Last year, I took a cooking/food tour in Sri Lanka, and it was an intimate tour where I got to cook in people’s homes and learn straight from the grandmas. Oh, it was bliss! Those family meals in Sri Lanka will forever stay with me. This year, I’m doing another cooking tour in India. Can’t wait!

A little tidbit about you
I carry around my own stainless steel take-out container and I also have a DIY boba cup, complete with a fat straw, I take to tea places. Even in Berkeley, the boba places are really thrown off by me wanting my drink in my personal cup, and sometimes they charge me more.

6 Likes

And Church’s has fried okra, or they did last time I went. It’s been a while.

oh wow, i lived in Kensington, CA for like 6 years! loved it up there (near Young’s Market) i’m in the Mission now.

I’m in that same area, although I usually say “I’m near Arlington Wine and Spirits.” :wink: That little store has everything!

I wish there were more restaurants in this area, although Benchmark Pizzeria has livened things up substantially. Especially since they started making homemade pasta.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Taste Of Grandma’s Kitchen: We Hack An Old Ketchup Recipe

Hi. pilgrim, here. Have been mangeur several places.

1. I live in San Francisco.

2. Food in France

3. Dim sum crawls on Clement Street are a fine way to spend a morning.

4. I believe there is no bad food, only bad cooks.

1 Like

Thanks! I too use tomato paste (had good luck with the Trader Joe’s organic brand). Mine is pretty similar to yours but I also add a wee bit of molasses, some mustard powder, Hungarian sweet paprika, powdered ginger the tiniest pinch of cinnamon. I like the spiciness of it but think I will try for more simplicity next batch I make.

2 Likes

Cinzia!

A post was split to a new topic: Taste Of Grandma’s Kitchen: We Hack An Old Ketchup Recipe

I just found out you are mcf. Now I recognize you!!

1 Like

Ruh roh!

1 Like

I’m just waiting for folks to figure out that SteveR here is Steve R on CH & Steve R. on several other boards.

2 Likes

OMG if you didn’t just tell me I wouldn’t have put that together!! Tricky!!

I felt I needed a “fresh start”…perhaps I ruffled a few feathers on the “other” site, so I decided I would pick a new unique name that should throw people off of who I was vs. who I am. I also altered my avatar as an extra precaution. Can never be too safe.

3 Likes

Funny, I too wanted a “change” with this new site, so I came up with a new name as well. Unlike you I don’t want to give up my previous identity for privacy reasons. I’m glad we are all here now and I enjoy living my “new” life here.

(ETA** Obviously I didn’t realize the stacking order of posts/replies on this site, so while it seems like I’ve lost my mind and simply repeating myself after my response to SteveR, this is actually in response to StoneSoup further up thread. While you might not know my based on my new handle, I promise you I am not insane)

1 Like