Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

I never introduced myself on CH so this will be interesting.

1. Just south of Boston
  2. All food in general, but particularly traveling for food (i.e., food finds when you are traveling, preferably overseas, but anywhere outside your usual 'hood is good too)
  3. Eating at the crab joints in Osaka and Tokyo. I know those places are so touristy, but I LOVE crab and it was actually good crab. Not like coming to Boston and going to the Barking Crab.
  4. I too love visiting supermarkets when I go overseas. I brought back a bottle of hon mirin from an Okayama supermarket once. But for something more unique ā€“ I only learned how to ride a bike 2 summers ago and I still suck at it Didnā€™t take my bike out for practice once this summer. I live in a neighborhood where I see kids 7-12 whizzing by on bikes all the time just to remind me of my shame. My screen name means piglet, which I hope is explanatory.
3 Likes
  1. Iā€™m in North London; I moved here from San Francisco.
  2. I love noodles and dumplings. Less of an expert on, more an appreciator of.
  3. I moved to London this year and am still discovering my local places. I am pleased to find anything delicious that I can walk to from home in 30 minutes. Today I was delighted to find an excellent croissant near Kings Cross.
  4. I have not been able to develop a taste for haggis yet. I need to work up to it before next yearā€™s Burns Night.
3 Likes

@railwayhickory, who were you on that other food-focused website? Curious minds and allā€¦

@GretchenS, see my profile :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cindy, one bit of advice: do study Italian. If it isnā€™t practical to attend classes (where youā€™ll meet other interesting italianistas) there is a lot available online nowadays.

I was of course a cat in a former lifeā€¦

I see that you are also a foodie marital counsellorā€¦ You saved them from an inedible ā€œroastā€, while turning them on to a very good economical meal.

1 Like
  1. Oakland, California, USA
  2. Almost anything
  3. My first food memory: I spent 30 minutes peeling and eating grapes while watching a Taiwanese game show. I was probably 3 or 4 years old and it was more fun than anything Iā€™d ever done up to that point. Of course I was throwing the peels and seeds on the floor, so I got in trouble shortly thereafter.
  4. With the arrival of my daughter, my relationship with food really changed. Jarred spaghetti sauce became acceptable and less than stellar food at restaurants became unacceptable.
2 Likes

I did start learning Italian a few years ago at a ā€œLifelong Learningā€ program. It wasnā€™t as much fun as Iā€™d anticipated because the instructors took themselves too seriously. When we were learning to introduce ourselves, I said, ā€œCiao, mi chiamo Francesca.ā€ They gave me a hard time because my name tag said ā€œCindy.ā€ I tried to explain that my Italian persona was much more ā€œFrancescaā€ than ā€œCindyā€ (which I wouldnā€™t know how to pronounce anyway since ā€œciā€ is pronounced ā€œchā€ and there is no letter ā€œyā€ in the Italian alphabet). Maybe what I really wanted was to drink Italian wine! Speaking of which, hereā€™s another tidbit about me. When Iā€™m in Italy, drinking Italian wine, the more wine I drink, the more fluent in Italian I become. This is true! There are witnesses that will attest to this. Same is true for me when drinking German wines when Iā€™m in Germany. The problem is, when those same people I was chatting with the night before in their native languages begin conversations with me in those same languages the following morning, Iā€™m at a loss to understand or respond. Go figure!!! :smile: :wine_glass:

5 Likes

Do you ever find yourself purrrrrrring with contentment? :wink:

I can trip over lint too!!!

1 Like

I kept mine the same. And it was supposed to be winecountrygirl and I typeoed and became wincountry girl for life!

Finally, someone else from Westchester. Were you on CH? If so, what was your name there?

Sistah!

1. I am in Northern Westchester by way of Queens, Brooklyn, Yonkers and Hackensack.
  2. Favorite topics are whatever hits me at the time ā€“ I love to browse the posts and dive into topics that seem interesting
  3. Food experience ā€“ wow, letā€™s see. Grandma cooking ā€“ you could smell the onions and garlic in the lobby of her apartment building. She made the worldā€™s best brisket (which she called pot roast) and I have adapted her recipe. Then there was the time we went to the French Laundry and, having been there before, I knew we would be invited to the kitchen so I brought my French Laundry cookbook for Thomas Keller to sign. He was so appreciative and humble.
  4. Something about me - ā€“ I attended Peter Kumpā€™s NY cooking school when Peter was alive and worked as a chef in executive dining for a bit. My husband and I plan our vacations around food. I can get lost in a good supermarket! I was/am wincoutrygirl on CH.
2 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Scacciata in NY

Yesā€¦valerie!

Iā€™m a NYC girl living in Central Jersey. Love that most Jersey restaurants are BYO.
I could live on Dumplings and pasta-love talking recipes with anyone who will listen-reading recipes is often almost as much fun as making them,
Having over 20 people sitting down for a holiday dinner around my table-eating all that Iā€™ve been cooking for days-the room gets quiet because everyone is so busy eating-itā€™s an amazing experience to me.
My mother only broiled and cooked frozen vegetables to death. I guess I am a good co0k now as a defense mechanism! Will try anything new-as will my kids. Have an adult son born in Taiwan who taught us the "real " Chinese cooking-and how to order-have never looked back!!

3 Likes

"I get passionate when I hear people say ā€œI want to cook at home, but I donā€™t think I can. I donā€™t have timeā€

As Michael Pollan says, people say they have no time to cook, but judging by the TV schedule, they have plenty of time to watch other people cook.

4 Likes

Sometimes I think that just makes them more intimidated to try at home. They have all of these expectations of what their food should look like or they expect to be able to do it like a TV chef right from the get go, when the reality is that we donā€™t see all the mistakes that were made along the way to getting it TV perfect.

3 Likes

Of course. So does my actual cat, Renzo.

Isnā€™t purrming with contentment one of the aims of culinary boards?

3 Likes