Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

I thought you were from Joisey.

I am - you from joisey? :smile:

1 Like
  1. LA area
  2. I love cookware and gadgets.
  3. Iā€™ll pass
  4. People think Iā€™m a good cook. I just know how to follow a recipeā€¦. When I cannot find ingredients, I raise the plants so I have supplies.

Iā€™ll add another item:
5. What brought you here?

1. Reading an article on the LA Times about how bad Chowhound has become and they listed other foodie sites.

Welcome RootBeer!

Thatā€™s interesting! Are you a member of CH?

Yes. I joined a few weeks ago but Iā€™d refer to the site over the years when I did a search. In just a few weeks though, the powers that be keep making changes that now make it frustrating to navigate the site so I looked for an alternative.

3 Likes
  1. Auckland, New Zealand

2. I like meals with big flavours. Subtle flavours are sadly lost on me. Currently my favourite recipes come from River Cafe, Ottolenghi and Fuchsia Dunlop books.

3. Steak with a dipping sauce at a hole in the wall in Phnom Penh called The Broken Brick. The steak was rare and the sauce was probably msg laced, but darn it was good.

4. I canā€™t tell my left from my right. I tried a Ceroc dance class once when I lived in Singapore and it was a sweaty disaster. I did everything wrong and messed up everybody else.

5. Iā€™m from chowhound but gave up after the redesign as I mainly use a phone. I found this site mentioned in an article.

6 Likes

Welcome Frizzle! Nice to have you join us! Have a look around and donā€™t be shy!

1 Like

Welcome Frizzle. I, too, like bold flavors. You might want to check out http://hot-thai-kitchen.com for videos & recipes.

1 Like

Frizzle!! So glad youā€™ve joined us!!

1 Like

ā€œ5. Iā€™m from chowhound but gave up after the redesign as I mainly use a phone. I found this site mentioned in an article.ā€

Hahaā€¦you copycat.

We must have been reading the same article after giving up on Chowhound!

Welcome.

2 Likes

Where are you?
Living on the northern end of the Jersey Shore

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you canā€™t stop talking about it?
Probably my favorite restaurants (local or not), but reallyā€¦is there any food topic any of us turn away from? :slight_smile:

Whatā€™s a great food experience you have had?
Having met Chef Floyd Cardoz many times and dined at his NYC restaurant Tabla (which I still miss), I was thrilled when he and Danny Meyer partnered again to open North End Grill in Battery Park City. After a few visits, I learned that my folks were coming up from FL for a visit, and I arranged a tour of the chefā€™s (then new) rooftop garden. We had a spectacular lunch and then went up on the roof to check out the garden and the view. Chef Cardoz is one of the most hospitable people Iā€™ve ever met, and his tour of his new home is something I wonā€™t soon forget, even though he has moved on from that restaurant.

A little tidbit about you
While I havenā€™t done nearly the amount of travelling that Iā€™d like to, Iā€™m the person everyone turns to for restaurant recs in any city/country theyā€™re headed to, whether itā€™s for business or pleasure. I love doing that research if I donā€™t already have places to recommend, and I feel like it expands my culinary horizons even if I never get there.

1 Like

Where are you?
Depends when you ask. I divide my time between London (UK) - my birthplace - and Toronto - my long adopted home, with healthy smatterings of near-LA - parental adopted home - and wherever I travel. Right now, London.

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you canā€™t stop talking about it?
Not sure I have only one but love sharing photos and reviews of restaurants where I live and travel. Also how to produce great results at home.

Whatā€™s a great food experience you have had?
So many! Iā€™d say that the simple dishes are often the most memorable: 1 A tiny place inside a market in Florence called Trattoria da Rocco where everything was very cheap and I had stewed tomatoes that I described in sexual terms. 2 A local restaurant run by a mother and her twin daughters, O CaraƧas in Porto. An amazing and friendly experience thatā€™s more than about food. 4 Spicy hot veal sandwiches from what started as a little grocery store, San Francesco in Toronto. 5 The dal and the sag aloo from Meraz, off Brick Lane in London. The first time I had a fish taco in La Habra, Ca, local to my parentsā€™ adopted home. There isnā€™t enough space to list everything.

A little tidbit about you
Canā€™t stay still. Canā€™t grow up, only old. Ex groupie now just limping a bit. Never leave home without a camera. Good to be here. Nicer than CH.

3 Likes

That made me smile. It seems I share the affliction - though, sometimes I find myself growing ā€œoutā€ around the middle.

5 Likes

Aye, aye Capt. that makes three of us.

1. For the last 18 years, northern Delaware. Born and raised at exit 102 (NJ, of course), lived in places as far west as Carmel Valley, CA and as far east as Almaty, Kazakhstan. I have lived in or near Philadelphia since 1996 and spend a lot of time there.
  2. Tasting/learning about every possible regional cuisine, and that means regions of any and all countries on the planet. My country count is currently at 75, and I live to eat and travel. (Wonderfully, I almost never get sick from food, probably because my stomach has so many bugs already in there that they spend their time fighting amongst themselves rather than bothering me.). I also love to cook, and someday, will get better at making bread.
  3. Too many to list; I have travel-related food memories going back to 1978. It is amazing how vivid these still are!
  4. I retired (very young) two years ago and now spend nearly all my time traveling, gardening, cooking, and running/biking, when not posting/reading online about all of those things :grinning: I was travelmad478 on CH, and my username can be found on numerous other websites (most devotedly, FlyerTalk).
7 Likes

Welcome Travel!! Good to have you over here!! Please make yourself at home and feel free to share with us, look forward to seeing more of you. (Iā€™m exit 105)

1. Charleston SC

2. I am passionate about cooking, quality of ingredients, fish heads, offal, Ottolenghi, Hazan, farmers markets, sustainability, affordability, food as medicine, CSFs.
    I am passionate about creating a family cookbook. My grandmother was an amazing cook, and she didnā€™t write down any of her everyday recipes because they were all in her head. I want to make sure I write mine down.
    I am passionate about the energetic qualities of food in terms of Traditional Chinese Medicine. I am very passionate about offal, which I credit for saving my health. I hesitated sharing this, but decided itā€™s absolutely relevant and related to food.

3. My first dinner party I put on was a success and a huge boost in my confidence as a cook, and a very special memory for me. It was our very first as homeowners which makes it special all on its own, but my aunt-in-law that attended is no longer with us, which makes it much more significant. She was an amazing cook, so the stakes were high, and her praise meant the world to me.

4. I eat nearly every meal at home, 365 days of the year. Only exceptions are visits with family, where they cook in their own home for us. We have 1-2 meals out together a year.

4 Likes

Southern Indiana
Love excellent food and just really just learning to cook.
Thanks for letting me join this group. I am l enjoying cooking a lot and I made a deal with my wife that since she has cooked the first 35 years when I retire next year I will cook for the next 35.
Love cooking with copper.
Please be patient a novice but learning quickly.
Favorite foods, Italian , Southwest Mexican and anything for breakfast
First post so I hope to learn a lot from everyone, or as we say here Yaā€™all. Thanks

9 Likes

Welcome Steve ! Some of us have been cooking for not quite 70 years but it sure does feel like it some days. Ask away. Weā€™ll do our best to answer.

Where: Bellingham WA

I care alot about avoiding waste, and I always have ideas for how to recycle any leftover or food scrap into something tasty or at least useful (compost anyone?).

Great food experiences include wandering some of the loveliest farmers markets out there, discovering brand new and absolutely revelatory flavors, cooking for people who appreciate it (i.e. not my picky kids at this stage!), and anytime my husband and I end up at a small plates place sans kids and share everything on the table.

Little tidbit: Back when food network started I was poor and had no cable. We used to spend lots of weekend time at my parents. I would bring along a couple empty videotapes each time, and come back home again with 12 hours of taped cooking shows.

5 Likes