Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

1. Central Ohio, with three plus decades prior in San Francisco (still travel back to visit friends and family)

2. Exploring the food options here and everywhere I go (I have a blog that’s still going strong after 1 1/2 years)

3. Early in my CH days, doing a taco truck crawl around 2006; more recently, a delicious tasting menu at Veritas Tavern in Delaware, OH

4. I’ve run nine marathons. Hoping next year I’ll knock out my tenth

2 Likes

I’m in Central NJ, not too far from the aforementioned exits. I cook, I bake, I’m passionate about all sorts of food things. I can go high end but I love 2/$1 hot dogs at the Sheetz… My current passion is lactic fermentation I’ve eaten lots of great things over the years - too many for a post like this. My wife & I have a small wholesale food manufacturing business which we are trying to grow. We make things like sauerkraut, pickled beets, jams & etc all from local produce which we sell to farm stands around the area. We started this year in the soring & it’s been a real learning experience. I think with cooking as with all my interests I really like to learn new things.

5 Likes

Welcome Joe!!! I thought I saw someone looking for a kick-ass pickled beets recipe on here. (Home cooking maybe) please feel free to share!

Thanks Jr. Nice to see you here also. Esp. since we’re neighbors. I did share my recipe for pickled beets and I love the ‘Fermented Foods’ thread.

1 Like

I’m interested in lacto-fermentation of organic produce and presently buy from a farm in Maine, Thirty Acre Farm in Whitefield ME. Do you/would you ship to eastern Massachusetts at retail?

I’d love to buy from a fellow HO. [fun to type that]

1 Like

Heh - I just delivered a bunch of stuff to friends from that neighborhood when we all got together in Kent CT. last month.

Where are you?
I live in CT

What food-related topic are you most passionate about, that you want people to ask you about and you can’t stop talking about it?
I love talking about food.My deep passion is bacon-cheeseburgers. I eat over 100 of them a year. My other passion is the science behind the food.

What’s a great food experience you have had?
A friend treated me to Per Se. After 13 courses we enjoyed a glass of Port from 1912

A little tidbit about you
On CH I created quite a bi-polar experience with my use of the third person. It was a thing that happened one day and it just took off on a life of its own. It started with my writing as my Seeing Eye dog writing the post. She passed a couple of years ago now and I am back to writing in the first person again. BTW it was waaaay harder writing in the third person as a dog.

4 Likes

I always wondered about that third person thing!!

1 Like

Can you call it “third person” if it’s a dog?

1 Like

Good point.

Fonda was supposed to be a Seeing Eye Dog. She failed in 15 minutes because she was just too sweet, but a perfect pet. In her 14 years, she never barked (she thought it was a waste of time), led the life of Riley with a couple of beds, slept in most days and ran to the dinner table for cake any time she hears “Happy Birthday.”

She was more a person than most peopleI have met and we could a lot from our canine companions.

3 Likes

There were times I thought I would get death threats from some of the A-hole posters. And then I would respond and I would check my e-mail and would see, “Jfood, you have receive a message from the mods…”

Jfood! So very glad to see you again – but so sorry to hear about you losing your ghost writer.

2 Likes

Likewise. Jfood damn glad to see you here👍

Thanks Sunshine. It was a great 14 years with her.

I miss the old jfood. Used to regularly make me chuckle.

2 Likes

Thanks H. Jfood is old, but he can still eat with the best of them. Last week he had several cheeseburgers, a few steaks, and more ice cream than I can imagine. And he still just throws me a bone and some kibble in the bowl. I wish he would take me to some of those restaurant or at least bring me home a doggie bag…sheesh.

Feel better H? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you. Just like the old times

3 Likes

I have a feline companion. I’ve learned not to walk around barefoot when he’s pretending to be a hungry cheetah.

2 Likes

@jfood: Welcome, and Happy Hungry Onioning to you!

I’m from London England but live in South Florida (Palm Beach Co)
I can’t think what major food related topic I’d be most passionate about.
Watching my grandma cook with her cigarette hanging from her lips, and waiting to see how long the ash would get before it would fall into the soup or matzoh ball mix or strudel.
I’m female, love my dogs, and have 2 Harley Davidsons.

1 Like