Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

Richard,
Welcome to Hungry Onion! As a neighbor here in NJ please enjoy our little foodie place on the web! Hope you are fairing well with all the difficulties facing NY these days, stay safe! Please be sure to share a few pics of your next baked goodness, nothing like a warm home baked loaf of bread!
If you don’t mind me asking, how did you find us? Welcome again if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Notjr

2 Likes

Welcome fellow bread baker!

1 Like

I live in england near london
I dont have any specific area but i teach at a culinary college so anything food related will get me going
I have cooked for hundreds of football teams, royalty and various celebrities, mostly during my time cooking for private jets.

6 Likes

Welcome, Chef B! Hope you enjoy it here at HO!

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bread starter question

Chef,
First and foremost Welcome to Hungry Onion!! Nice to have you find us here, speaking of which may I ask how you found us here?

That sounds very interesting, I would imagine cooking for private jets entails cooking in advance then packaging the food for service in flight? Would that be correct or is there another method for the private jet world us commercial flying public wouldn’t know about?

Welcome again!

1 Like

If you want to send someone a private message, you click on their icon/avi and this menu will pop up. You then click the blue “message” icon and you are there!!! (you can also post links to the body of any post, just copy past a link if you have one, or use the upload (up arrow) on the tool bar.

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome! You are correct depending on the requests of the lead passenger (who is paying). Any cold platters are made as close to the takeoff time as possible, normally less than an hour before, such as fruit displays and cold desserts. Private jets are a whole new world from what us mere mortals may be used to. They are often kitted out with no expense spared, i have been on various planes that have bigger bathrooms than mine at home…not to mention the marble! But with this luxury also comes a fairly decent kitchen area in which to cook in. So meals can be prepared in flight and as there is no laws on carrying knives and such on a private flight, i had all my gear available.

7 Likes

Hello!

A look into a lifestyle that 99% of us are (vaguely?) aware of but will never experience. Thanks, and welcome!

Curious about the cooking technique high on air, are they very different? I bet cooking with fire is forbidden? How about smoke management?

Welcome Chef! Glad to have you on board!

1 Like

Haha you are absolutely right there, fire is a no no! Electric everything, which is a pain but you get used to it. One thing that heston has absolutely right in a series he did about plane food is that seasoning is more important than ever. It seems the altitude does really affect flavour.

As for smoke management, just open the window a little. Nah of course im joking. Planes have great filtration units and i have never actually noticed any major build up. I tended to only cook for an average of 15 guests so it wasn’t any where near the numbers of your typical restaurant.

One thing that did take a lot of getting used to is the safety catches on every drawer, door and cupboard. I cant tell you how many times i have forgotten to put the latch back on a cupboard and have everything pour onto the floor…

6 Likes
  1. From Ukraine
  2. Thai, Italian food, UK style Indian curries, Sunday roasts, Turkish kebabs, Steaks, Low and slow BBQ, Espresso
  3. So many amazing food memories of Japan.
  4. I’m as passionate about food, travel, craft, biking.
9 Likes

Welcome aboard! The more the merrier. Are you still in Ukraine? If not, where are you based?

Welcome to Hungry Onion.

Do you cook Ukrainian food often? If you do, what are some of the typical dishes?

I like eastern European cuisines. Beetroots, (sour) cream, cabbage, roe, potatoes, gherkins, dumplings etc I love these ingredients.

Am also a fan of Japan and everything in it.

Look forward to reading about your food and experiences.

1 Like

Welcome to HO!

1. I currently reside in Santa Monica, but I left my heart in San Francisco where I was born & raised.
  2. I’m passionate about sourdough discard - not an expert, but I’ve made over half a dozen different things so far. Might create a thread.
  3. In 2019 I dined at Tour D’Argent Tokyo and had duck three ways including pressed duck and table side flambeed crepes for dessert - I’ve heard Beige Alain Ducasse in Tokyo is even better. Due to my work, it’s easier to get to Tokyo (once the pandemic travel ban is lifted), but Tour D’Argent in Paris is on my bucket list.
  4. I go gaga when there are edible flowers on a dish be it sweet or savory.
8 Likes

Welcome @foodshutterbug !! Hope you find this forum useful and enjoy your stay here.

I would like to know definitely! I’ve been starting to make my starter about a month ago, I’ve still trying to improve. There is a thread on this topic.

LOL! I live in the surburb of Paris, and I haven’t made it to Tour d’Argent yet. Problem here there are many new and fabulous restaurants and the established places have to wait. Since a few years Tour d’Argent has been changing head chefs quite often, the most recent one is Yannick Franques since 2019. By the way, Ducasse is French not Beige. In Paris, his restaurant in Plaza Athénée cooks mainly vegetables and fish as well, no birds. One needs to try Meurice, but I don’t see duck on the menu.

Right now, with COVID, there is no date when restaurants will be opened in France. If everything goes well, restaurants will open in mid January. It’s a disastrous year for restorations with the 2 lock down and a curfew and missing all the festivals. I wonder how many will survive.

4 Likes

@naf

France shall re-open restaurants and bars on January 20th, 2021.

It was announced on both Spanish T.V. and the BBC TV today.

5 Likes