Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

I wonder, is there a HO policy about these cut and paste posts? Even though its damnably hard to find anything on CH as it is now, I have copied a whole ream of worthwhile posts (some mine, also written by others) which I could clean up and repost here.

2 Likes

I think it’s okay. I posted the year in the subject line when I posted mine. I find it’s easier to find posts using Google and a few key words, than using the CH search engine.
@naf , any comment?

1 Like

We’ve been here since 2015.
It really isn’t necessary to recreate every f-ing chowhound thread.
Make some new memories here; explore the last 7 years of posts.
We don’t need a chowhound 2: Bizarro world.
Just my exasperated opinion.
I’m ready to join Rooster.

:frowning:

11 Likes

You can repost your own CH posts here. As topics written by others, there is copyright issue, you need to have the permission of the author.

4 Likes

Jen -
Given the policy, please consider this a blanket permission for you to copy & reprint any/all of my posts. That is, if you can find any that you’d consider worthwhile to re-visit. Damned if I could. :innocent:

6 Likes

I wanted to save the photos and names of some places I visited in 2017, which had no presence on Chowhound, and have no presence on HO. San Casciano dei Bagni, Chiusi, Sarteano.

I have no idea when I’ll be able to visit Europe again, and probably will never go to those small towns in Umbria and Tuscany again.

I’ve only posted one or 2 old topics. I think it adds to the site.

I could have posted the post here in 2017, since I was already a member, but I was posting more elsewhere at the time.

I’m hoping there will be enough traffic for an Italian board to develop on HO.

@JenKalb , if you want to add any reports here, this is the thread I started

2 Likes

got it. you have a good point,
Im here for the discussion and the future not the past.

its hard to lose all the trip reports and info tho. Imagine losing all your photo albums of all your trips. Its like that.

9 Likes

I already had that happen in my divorce.
:slight_smile:
I wasn’t really bitching at you, I always loved your posts.
Take care.
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Sorry about the lost photo albums! 🥲

1 Like

I’m your huckleberry…

I live on the Garden Island of Kauai in the Hawaiian islands.
I’ll talk about cooking any time, any where…any cuisine, cookware, ingredients. I’m just animate about it.
I’ve had many, that run the gambit from eating snails at a curbside stall, sitting on a plastic stool while traffic on the sidewalk and street flowed past me in Saigon, to a Kaiseki meal in Kyoto, to having the roast chicken at L’ami Louis in Paris.
I’m an avid knife collector, both kitchen and otherwise, with a good bulk of my friends knife makers, and other collectors. The knives I collect, carry, and use are largely made by knife makers who are my friends as well.

9 Likes

Thanks for your post it was helpful to me.
I had a quoted someone from CH and
when I saw your post I got their permission to leave the post up.
Thanks for bringing the subject up before Chowhound’s closure.

1 Like

Yeah, i cant even locate many of my own. I spent some time saving posts on theWayback machine today . Who knows if they will ever be of use to anyone but it made me feel a bit better.

4 Likes

Welcome @JenKalb!

I have to say I agree with sentiment, if not the words.

I’m finding all the copy-paste posts here extremely cluttering, frustrating to navigate, and confusing to the format and flow of this site.

What’s the point of seeing a new post only to realize it’s a dump from years ago.

I don’t see the point in cluttering this site when we have so many new users trying to feel their way around and get comfortable, and existing users trying not to feel sidelined and run roughshod while that happens.

Many if not most CH posts have been archived via the wayback machine. Other than nostalgia or personal record, I don’t see the need to create a duplicate archive here — people should copy-paste for their own personal record in their own personal space.

12 Likes

I’ve spent some time the past few days trying to archive via the wayback machine as well - it was comforting to see how many threads had already been archived and how few were “first archives…”

1 Like

In retrospect, I think this is a point well taken. I have spent some hours archiving as well as saving some things that could and be cut and pasted later if it is relevant to a discussion over time. Its more problematic for people involved in live discussions, I guess than with my ancient history. Hopefully these live discussions have been waybacked and links can be provided here if needed for continuity.

3 Likes

I introduced myself when I joined HO in October 2015 but didn’t participate besides an occasional read. My info is pretty much the same as in 2015:

DC area for 30 years, originally from CA and spend part of the time in the LA area/South Bay
Mostly enjoy home cooking and vegetable gardening topics but open to others/have plenty of opinions
Work in IT, have more hobbies than I can handle - singing, knitting, cycling, etc.

Look forward to participating and happy that so many home cooking former CH’ers are here!

14 Likes

Small world. I lived and worked in Lee County, in Pennington Gap for 5 years when I first got out of school. Rural appalachia is surely God’s country.

2 Likes

Great. I hope the new DC mid-Atlantic board will be helpful and benefit from your contributions.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)