Let me introduce you to the Ignore/Mute Feature

Is it possible to block or mute a poster who has a hidden profile?

As the author of the thread, I wanted to acknowledge your question but unfortunately, I do now know the answer. @sck or someone else be able to answer this please.

1 Like

What is a hidden profile?

2 Likes

From your own profile, under Preferences->Users.

1 Like

What is the advantage of having a hidden profile on an anonymous site?

1 Like

users are blocked/muted by name.
whether they’ve made their profile private is not relevant.
HO makes blocking/muting a user rather obscure, and to finish the action, you have to enter the user name. so - write it down, find the block option, enter the name.

1 Like

This may seem like a silly Q but here goes. First off, I don’t have anyone on my ignore list. But if someone has me on their ignore list and I start a thread, does my thread not show up at all to this person? Or maybe the subsequent replies show up and this person has to put two and two together? Which wouldn’t make much sense. Just wondering.

3 Likes

It shows up as “Ignored Content” on both sides IME

3 Likes

I’ve muted someone who seemed to post everywhere all the time. Their ubiquity got to me, so now I don’t see their stuff. Whatever they post it shows up as “hidden content” for me.

1 Like

Hidden might be what I was thinking of.

1 Like

So in other words, this person knows there is a thread out there. And if curiosity gets the best of them they will unmute to see what it’s all about. That answered my Q.
This was just a general question btw. Not directed at anyone.

2 Likes

Mute and Ignore are different.

Mute means all notifications are hidden. So while you won’t get notified even if you’re watching or tracking a thread, the replies are still visible to you in the thread.

Ignore hides topics and replies, per the description next to it, I imagine similar to when a comment gets flagged and you have to click “view hidden content” to read it.

Easy to test out what someone else would see by trying it out yourself.

2 Likes

I have one person who I ignore. So, yes, any posts are displayed as “hidden content” which I can open if I choose. I’ve only done that once just to see what happened. However, I think that if someone quotes that person in their own post, then the quote will be displayed. Still, a bit of second hand irritation is better than the complete irritation of prior to learning about the facility.

3 Likes