Leftover rice

Sure, but is it that fast? Bad in 2 hours?

Maybe I live in a magic house.

5 Likes

Place rice in bowl, microwave about a minute, lots of butter and pepper, some salt, stir and feed. Delicious!

2 Likes

Some toasted seaweed flakes and Im with you.

3 Likes

Instead of salt try soy sauce. Because butter + soy sauce = magic

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Fried rice! What are your favorite ingredients and techniques?

I have planned to make Thai sticky rice dessert with mango and coconut cream but soaked too much rice with water, I will go ahead to steam the rice. Is it possible to freeze the steamed glutinous rice? Or is it better to mix the sweet coconut milk with the rice and freeze together? Thanks.

1 Like

I used to freeze cooked rice for clients all the time though not sticky rice. I always instructed them to add a small amount of liquid to reheat the rice so I would suggest freezing before adding the coconut milk. I’d use it as my liquid to reheat, adding it as needed to reach the desired consistency.

4 Likes

Make sense. Thank you.

Nuked leftover rice +sriracha = lunch!
I just recently read of rice toxins. Certainly not recommending it but I leave cooked rice out at room temp in its cooking vessel for…sometimes several days, and in 60 years have never had a casualty.

5 Likes

Leftover rice + diced beets + Italian dressing = heavenly pink salad

1 Like

Good luck. I’d be interested in hearing how it worked.

1 Like

I usually rice nuke with chopped kimchee. I like the different textures.

I’ve never heard of rice toxins but don’t doubt they exist. Not something I’m going to worry about though.

4 Likes

Ugh. Left over rice info is so frustrating.

From Medical News Today-There is a common belief that you should never reheat rice. However, this is not true. It is possible to reheat rice, but people must take precautions to ensure it is safe to eat.

“Rice nuke”???

I need to learn to proofread better

1 Like

This might be news to an entire continent. As a card-carrying Korean, this thread is the first place I’ve ever read about this issue. Please know that I’m not discounting it - I have just never heard about this and I’m reacting off-the-cuff here. There’s a high incidence of gastric cancers amongst Koreans. That could be due to smoked foods (as has been seen in the Japanese) or maybe consumption of lots of fermented foods in Koreans? Or maybe spore-laden rice is a contributing factor? As a kid and adult, cooked rice was routinely left in the rice cooker and eaten over the course of the week. Mom rarely refrigerated rice. I do, but I have also been known to leave rice out for several days, particularly during the colder months.

Anyway, I shouldn’t be thinking aloud like this without substantiation, but thanks for the food for thought.

4 Likes

I read warnings from time to time on sites like “ours” ( :grin:), and I try to check out the sources each time. I was surprised that this source called it "a common belief ". No one I know seems to know about it. Interesting to think about in the current context of science believers and non-believers.

3 Likes

rice is an excellent growth media for bacteria.
if one assumes the rice has been “cooked to sterile” then only externally introduced bacteria could pose a problem…

it’s the same with the USDA/FDA recommendations on cooking temps, etc.
they take the position that in order to be “safe” all foods should be reduced to ash…

5 Likes

PAELLA VALENCIANA RECIPE FROM QUIQUE DACOSTA, LEFT OVERS WERE STORED AND RE HEATED, WITH CALDO DE POLLO TO MOISTEN THE RICE … I DO NOT USE MICRO WAVE OVENS.

6 Likes

I don’t own a microwave either.

1 Like

This reminds me of potato salad and people blaming food poisoning on the mayo. Which is actually a very stable product. The problem was the potato’s and I’ve heard where rice might be a problem too. I don’t remember the scientific specifics why though.