Leeks: Who Knew?????

This calls for one bunch of leeks. I have 2 lbs of oyster mushrooms and 1 bunch of leeks, so I will make something like this with them.

3 Likes

I was recently thinking about making another batch of Bryant Terry’s Spicy Lacto-Fermented Leeks (pg. 52 of his book Vegetable Kingdom). Leeks are fermented for a week with garlic and his famously perfect bebere blend. For a while back in early 2020 I ate these on everything, but I didn’t make them again (yet).

1 Like

Bienvenidos to our humble abode!! Time I woke up to leeks. Braised/creamed is the only way besides soup I’ve used them. Glad you brought the subject up. Food for thought for this onion.

1 Like

That Greek pie might be my next leekage. Great idea.

2 Likes

Could the Welsh have been wrong?

1 Like

Leek Burek is good, too!

LEEK AND ONION STRUDEL

This is a recipe I found many years ago in a magazine, and make it from memory, so the quantities of the ingredients may make more than one strudel.

2 leeks
1 onion
2 oz unsalted butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp summer savory
1/4 cup port
1/2 cup raisins
4 sheets phyllo pastry
Breadcrumbs
Lots of melted unsalted butter

Halve the leeks along the length, and clean them. Halve the onion
Thinly slice the leeks and onion into half-rounds
Melt the butter and olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat
Sauté the leeks and onions with s&p till soft; do not brown
Add the port and raisins and continue to cook, at low heat, until the port has evaporated
Add the summer savory. Mix and check for seasoning
Set aside to cool completely

Lay out one sheet of phyllo and brush with butter.
Sprinkle breadcrumbs over in a very thin layer
Lay another sheet on top; brush with butter; repeat breadcrumbs
Repeat layering till all four sheets of phyllo are used
Spread leek mixture over, leaving 1” empty border all around
Fold one long empty border over mixture; brush with butter
Roll into a cylinder. Brush with butter
Make 5 shallow cuts along cylinder. This will make it easier to cut when done
Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned
Remove from oven.
May be served hot or cold
Cut and serve.

Can be made into individual “spring rolls” and served as canapés. Leftover filling makes a great side dish.

3 Likes

Tasty recipe with leeks. But if you want to make this, please check the comments, as Gordon mentions 200 grams of butter but it should be 100 grams if one uses 200 grams of flour (he was probably making a bigger batch).

2 Likes

Simple potato and leek soup (potage parmentier), hot or chilled with a little cream to make Vichyssoise. Too bad leeks are so expensive in my grocery store. When I was a chef I bought them dirt cheap.

1 Like

I LOVE spinach burek. Leeks would be ideal! I can taste it now.

Being .25 Welsh and spending a whole lotta time with my first gen. Welsh grandma, I have to concur.

Two things from Afghanistan come to mind:
Leek Bolani, A simple Flat Bread stuffed with Leeks and Green Chili(opt.) Served with Yogurt and Green Chutney. They can also be made with Wonton or Eggroll Skins and fried
Aushak, Dumplings filled with Leeks, Green Onions and/or chives. Served with Garlic Yogurt and Spiced Tomato-Meat Sauce.

Hunan Ham Stir-fried with Leeks and Chilies

Char Roasted Leeks with Romesco Sauce or Salsa Brava

2 Likes
1 Like