Leaving Induction for Gas?

Yeah circular ring burners are not great for woks!

Also @Rainycatcooks

Medium-low flame, set on #2[1]:

Fairly-High flame, set on [correction] “HI”:

[1] Range on this stove (GE Cafe) is Lo-1-2-…-6-“HI”-“PowerBoil”

I didn’t think to get a wok out so I didn’t go up to “PowerBoil”. The flame was threatening to pop loose given the gas pressure at #6. If I’d have set the wok down over it, though, I think I could have continued adding more gas since the wok bottom would have helped stabilize the flame.

1 Like

The left front burner starter stopped clicking when I went ahead and removed the large main burner cover. What happened is that a flame about 6" come out of center and then a 6"X 2" flame comes out of a side orifice. The other burners look more like what cce posted. It is about a 12" high flame. I put my wok on it and it looks like it would work well with or without the grate on. I took some pictures but I’m having some problems with my phone uploading pictures. I’ll try to post them later.

There really is a strong gas smell which is enough to prevent me from cooking that way. It was strong enough that husband came over to see what I was up to.

1 Like

Something I never noticed before this exercise - my large left front and smallest right back burners are of one design, and have removable caps, while the left back (medium sized) and front right (double-ring burner) are of a completely different style (even as to gas flow paths) and have integrated caps that don’t come off (except the tiny center cap on the double-ring burner).

I can see why the double-ring needs to be different, you have to design in spaces to allow air (02) to get to that central flame. But there’s no reason for the medium burner to be different… weird.

Edit - I only get a brief bit of loose gas (while trying to light) on the big (single-flame) burner. It supplies the gas up through the center only. I wonder if yours has a different supply design where some of it comes in at center (and is consumed) while some is delivered more peripherally, and doesn’t get consumed? That’s the only think I can think of that would have you continually getting unburned (smellable) gas.

Maybe. All my burners have two levels of flames. Maybe the smell for me is stronger because it is LP. I suspect my supplier would want it to be extra stinky since I have to be able to notice any leaking tank issues.

Do you have the gas oven? How do you like the oven?

I must be tired. I first answered yes it is gas but no, I have the dual fuel model. The oven is electric.

1 Like

Nice. Not sure I can spring for the dual fuel as it’s $1200 more. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

(post deleted by author)

Bought the Monogram range a few days ago! Very excited.

Could you send a pic or video of the 21k BTU. Burner on Hi? Curiosity is killing me and can’t really find solid pics of it in use.

Also, I realized I have a small 1 quart saucepan that is 4.5” in diameter. Is there a risk it can’t sit on the grate? I can’t find measurements of the grate gap anywhere because it’s so specific.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m having problems with uploading pictures from my phone. I have a 4.5 sized pan. It is usable but a bit unstable on the grates. One disappointment with the range is that a standard sized corn tortilla is too small to effectively be toasted directly on grate because the center of the grate is too big. That is something I regularly do. I’m sure there is a simple solution to that problem I just have not searched for it yet. I have afew BBQ items I could use but they are too bulky to conveniently use.

1 Like

Thanks so much. My pan is actually 4.7” so maybe those 0.2” will help :laughing: Definitely going to take it to my local appliance store just to appease my curiosity. Not moving to the new place until June ao I have 6 months of thinking about this stove!

For a tortilla I may put a baking rack over the grate. Not sure if the high temp would ruin the rack, but it’s an idea. Amazing something like the grate design creates headaches. You’d think that’d be simple!

If it’s an issue, I would just source a square scrap piece of expanded metal steel grating to lay across the open grate. No worries over ruining anything, and the flat-er web makes nice grill marks on tortillas tomatoes, and peppers and the like. If you want to be fancy, get it in SS.

1 Like

Thank you. I was trying to think of what that material would be called. A quick search of that term gives me plenty of options if I can find an old piece from my BBQ to use.

YW. It doesn’t need to be heavy. I’d get a fine enough mesh size to keep the smallest things you want to char from falling through.

Or those little flat wire baskets people use to cook stuff over campfires?