Lead paint in pre 2005 Corelle?

Discuss.

1 Like

I have two Corelle dinner plates that I’ve had for 40 years. My neighbor from my very first apartment gave them to me. I can’t remember why she gave me two lone plates, but they’ve made it through many moves over the years… not a chip in them. They are part of my ragtag dinner dish collection. I’ve used them countless times to heat stuff in the microwave, because I knew they were microwave safe.
Now it time for them to go into the garbage.
@ChristinaM Thanks for the information.

Same issues with older Corning Ware and many old china patterns. Our Aynsley Pembroke checks in at 66,500 ppm at the center of the eating surface.n

1 Like

The Corelle I still have (plates and Corningware Casseroles) are plain white with no patterns or markings. Am I correct in assuming there is no lead in these? The article you posted doesn’t cover whether the lead may be in just the patterns, or the cookware itself.

It may depend how old they are.

1 Like

I’m posting a few links. I donated my Corelle, but I use 50 yo Corningware daily. I’m not worried.

I’m not inclined to trust Ms. Rubin’s articles.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lead/why-you-should-test-your-vintage-or-imported-dishes-for-lead-a2722202665/

2 Likes

The article states “contained Lead as a primary ingredient in the decorating fluxes and glazes”, so I am not sure that includes non-decorated pieces as I don’t know what “glazes” refers to.

Guessing I need to contact Corning.

I’ve got the gold butterfly and green floral patterned plates that I’ve been using almost daily…for my entire life. We had the butterfly ones as our plates when I was growing up and then I got a couple of those and a stack of the green floral ones when I moved out. The gold butterfly paint has just about worn off at this point, which means it either washed away in the dishwasher or I ingested it. Yikes.

I have other plates, but, yeah those have pretty much been the daily plates…

2 Likes