Le Creuset or Staub which is Best?

Sad to hear it happened. Reinforces my idea as I don’t like the preheating my Staubs or Sarpaneva empty in the oven to high temps personally. So for loaves I am using my stainless dutch oven if I want to use a lidded pan and it does just fine for me. It’s a Fissler Original Profi 24cm.

1 Like

In Staub vs LC, just go with your gut feeling to be honest, the one you want more.

I went with Staub originally as I read they are thicker/heavier and seemed like some were writing the black enamel could be better suited for higher heat. I am on induction so I wanted the thicker one also due that… I like the deep Staub colors. I have it in La Mer which is fantastic in a good natural light and then in dark blue which is great too. and black. I have only one LC, a matte black long handled saucepan with sand interior.

FWIW I think the foods tend to look better in the LC with the lighter interior. Somehow it looks nice when there is sauce spills on the light interior on foodie sites. Maybe you like taking pictures.

Typically I am doing browning of food in stainless pans, deglazing and then adding them to the ECI as already suggested here.

I could be up for one bigger oval dutch oven still. It would be a 35cm LC now as the size seems good and well the light interior is pretty nice. This would be an oven only pan for me, so no concers with it being lighter here for me, it’s even an advantage there I think.

2 Likes

Hi @Pertti Welcome, it’s finally nice to meet you @damiano speaks very highly of you.

2 Likes

We only have one Le Creuset, which we bought at a Sur La Table clearance. We’d been wanting an ECI Dutch oven for years, and price was a factor. Colors don’t mean much to us (ours is bright yellow, aka “jaune”), and we like the light interior of the LC. My wife uses it at least once a week, so it has a nice patina on the bottom now.

2 Likes

Exactly, I use a bare Lodge 5 qt. Covered cast iron Dutch oven for my weekly sourdough baking. No way would I risk my LC or Staub.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your input.
I’ve decided to purchase Staub since they are both comparable in value.
This will leave more money in my pocket to shop for specialty ingredients.

5 Likes

Hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Congrats. What size, shape and color did you choose?

1 Like

Take your time, Olunia–find the one that’s just right for you–and keeps the budget in line.

Ray

2 Likes

@kaleokahu
Thank you, I’m torn between the dark blue, grenadine and cherry red.
If I want the preferred colour then I might have to wait because many colours are out of stock online.
I really like that the pots come in set, they are stackable, and at a fantabulous sale price.
P.S.
@Pertti,
I like the La Mer colour but it doesn’t seem to be an option when buying online.

As between those… four, which complements your kitchen, dining areas, china and flatware best? Or competes the least?

I think Staub does the “jewel” colors the best (which, fungible as these are, is one real reason to pick Staub). The cherry would be my first discard, because… well, it’s red, and isn’t a deep finish. The La Mer I find an off color with too much contrast in the finish. The Grenadine is beautiful, but my choice would be the Dark Blue. Then again, I have a predilection for deep blues as colors–my Beetle GLS Turbo is in Galactic Blue.
Galactic Blue

Whatever you choose, have fun!

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

Color is the hard choice yes :wink:

I add a few old photos in different lightings of my ECI for you if that helps at all. I would get grenadine next myself and I was close to getting it when I bought these. IIRC it was more expensive or not available in the sizes when I pulled the trigger.

2 Likes

I guess. Black is always a safe choice. Ha.

It’s beautiful, does it fit in the oven?

With the top down, yes. The Spyder fits a little better.

1 Like

@Pertti
Thank you, the one with the removable wood handle looks so unique.
I still like the La Mer colour it reminds me of teal but not when the sunlight is shining on it (it looks more blue) the dark blue looks so rich both in your kitchen and in the sunlught. Love the corner display shelf.

@kaleokahu, thank you for trying to help with colour choices. All the colours will suit my current kitchen.

To everyone:
Do I need to season Staub before I use it or is it preseasoned and ready to go?

Hi Olunia,

I always lightly season and heat the pan up (below the smoke point) before using with ingredients.

It’s probably not necessary.

Ray

1 Like

I think the pot with the wood handle is Iittala (not Staub).
https://www.finnstyle.com/sarpanevapot.html

1 Like

@stockholm28,
Thanks, I wouldn’t even know where to begin to look for that pot and appreciate the link.

I still have the little booklet that came with one of my Staub pots.

It says: "We recommend applying a small amount of cooking oil in your pot before using to enhance the properties of the special black enamel. Do not hesitate to repeat before every use. "

1 Like