Le Creuset 7.5 quart/7 Litre "Chef's Oven" at what I think (hope) is a decent price

You can always get it plumbed in as a bathtub, I figure.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks. I feel like I should have known this, but I’m pretty sure that I did not. But I did order a replacement and plan to take this one into a physical store for refund.

Exactly. It’s too big.

Holy cow. Hadn’t heard of it so I looked it up. 15.5 quart, and 25 pounds with the lid. A couple of times a year I make about 3.5 gallons of chili (takes both of my stock pots running) and this would be good for that. But I can’t think of any other use that I’d have for it. (But still now that I know it exists… I want one. LoL.)

ETA - Oh, TURKEYS. I could do a whole 20+ pound turkey “40 cloves of garlic” style in this thing. Or in the same style as ATK’s “French Chicken In A Pot”. Never done either of those with turkey.

It comes with a gym membership.

2 Likes

The unmistakable taste of dead airspace in a pot too big for the dish being cooked. It’s like a cross between food cooked in a Mirro pressure cooker with a bouquet garni of old gym socks.

I’ll give you the recipe. Wrap goose in bacon, bake for 1 hour at 350. Remove from oven, eat bacon, discard goose. That’s for the ones I’ve shot in the Mississippi sloughs. Muddiest meat you can find. I’m sure a farm raised one would be okay, though.

2 Likes

Great recipe! Do you save the goose fat, or is an hour not long enough to render it out? Or does the fat taste as bad as the goose meat?

1 Like

That reminds me of the time my mom served a goose my dad had shot for Christmas dinner one year. The thing tasted like swamp and fat (and orange sauce). We spent most of the meal trying to negotiate around bird shot.

3 Likes

To my recollection:

1. No - it needs more time to render.
  2. If the bird tastes like mud, then all the parts taste like mud.
1 Like

I’d guess the bacon tastes like mud, too! Sounds really gross.

I am now thinking I can just forget about the goose pot…

Can’t speak for the bacon! But, my feeling on goose is that it is best attempted only if you have a source you know and trust (which I currently don’t, sadly). We have plenty of Canadian geese that gather by route 128 and all I can see is a flock of meat that tastes like algae!

Those geese are on the Mystic River at Assembly, near our house in Somerville, and they regularly cross the street nearby in a line just like Make Way for Ducklings. They are quite aggressive and nasty! Somebody needs to bring a border collie…somehow I also think that all those wild turkeys that are around office parks in the Boston suburbs would taste very good, either.

When I was a teenager, my parents somehow procured a goose (I don’t think from a hunter, because there was no shot and raw it looked relatively clean) in our small town in North Carolina for Christmas dinner many decades ago. One of my three younger brothers wanted roast goose, just like in Charles Dickens. All I remember is the enormous amount of fat that was rendered, and it did not smell good to me. I don’t remember even tasting the goose and I am sure my parents didn’t save the fat.

1 Like

I got what was supposed to be the replacement DO last night and I’m not happy.

It’s got FIVE of the little pinhole defects on the interior enamel surface. I examined the cheapo Crofton (Aldi brand) Dutch oven that my MIL got for a daughter a few years back, and it has no pinhole defects. Sigh.

So much for LC’s claim that every piece gets a final inspection by skilled artisans.

(Photo is from old post; I didn’t bother to photograph the new defects)

I am sorry to hear about this. I would have expected perfection from Le Creuset.

I just checked my cheap “Amazon Basics” enameled dutch oven and I have no defects, either. Albeit this is a 5.5 quart dutch oven.

I do want a 7 quart and I’m eyeing the “Amazon Basics” 7.3 quart. I have some credit card points that I need to use up, so I’ll probably get that one.

1 Like

Thanks Dan. Yeah I remembered you saying you’d gotten the Amazon Basics last year and that it looks good, works well.

Also it’s probably unfair of me to try to compare the Crofton’s surface to LC because I can tell by looking around the edges that the enamel on the Crofton is about half as thick. If my thinking that this is an air bubble problem is correct, it’d be less likely trap a bubble in a thin layer.

Mostly I’m just venting. Grr!

:hot_face:

Haha.

I know I’m really anal about cleaning everything after I cook. That little pin hole would eat at my brain – thinking there was trapped food or schmutz in the hole.

Thick or thin… you’d think the manufacturer would have a way to prevent that (pin hole) from happening in the first place.

As a side note, my 5.5 quart has been a great work horse for stews, etc. It’s only shortcoming was a couple of times I wanted to make a larger batch (of whatever) and freeze the leftovers for a later date. This is the reason I want the the 7.3 quart.

1 Like

I was reading 1-star reviews of the same product on Amazon and found some with similar pinholes.
One guy said he contacted LC and got the following reply:

• “Intricacies[1] such as pinholes and glazing are something that develops during the casting process and passes an inspection before leaving our manufacturer in France. It will not affect the workmanship of the item and won’t cause chipping or rusting later.”

Which is pretty much what @kaleokahu said above. So I’m thinking “alright, I can live with that” whereupon I come back here and see “schmutz”. I suppose I can run a toothpick around in the holes each time it’s cleaned…

[1] Nice avoidance of the word “defect”. Next time I screw something up, I’m going to refer to it as “an intricacy”, rather than “a mistake”.

D-D didn’t say there WAS schmutz–he said it would be worrisome THINKING there was schmutz.

1 Like