Last Resort Method for Cleaning Nonstick?

I’m late to the party.

I strongly object to the use of steel wool, including variants like SOS pads. Steel wool sheds little fragments that stick including under rivet heads and forgings and then rusts. You get streaks of rust and an ongoing maintenance problem.

Bronze wool is much to be preferred. It doesn’t rust. I don’t know of anyone making the equivalent of SOS pads but how hard is it to squirt soap yourself?

1 Like

Not sure if it would work but recently I used a tip to soak some really dirty oven racks overnight with a bunch of fabric softener sheets. Left a mess in the bathtub but the racks just wiped clean and shiny.

2 Likes

I’ve done this with my big roasting pan, but in a large trash bag out on the patio. Worked like a charm.

1 Like

MUCH better method!

1 Like

There is only one Mojo , the recycling bin , then learn how to cook in Blue steel pan , a skill but then you wont be exposed to the by product of the chemical industry , PTFE was known to be toxic as far back as the very early 1960 …

Based on your explanation that cooking most of the time using non-stick pan can be hazardous according the healthline article, but there are other alternatives such as using other kitchen utensils as a substitute. It was also advised that it is not necessary to scrub the non-stick pan so that it can last for many years.

The non-stick coating material is made from a chemical called PTFE, aka Teflon, which makes cooking and washing the pan convenient. Furtherore, Teflon material has been proven PFOA-free since 2013, and todays non-stick cookwares are completely safe for home cooking as long as temperatures doesn’t exceed 570°F (300°C).

1 Like

Anyone who has had a similar fate with fading of the nonstick properties of their nonstick pan should try heating up salt in the pan on medium heat until light brown. Discard the salt and give any residual salt a quick wipe with paper towel. Then place pan back on heat, mist the pan with oil and cook your food as normal.

A variation of this method works for regular aluminum, cast iron, and s/s pans as well. We were taught this at cooking school back in the 1990s. I don’t know why the heated salt helps make the pan nonsticky, but it works.